Week 15 – the final Post – great class

my current pet peeve

“Must have a minimum of 185 days OR 1,025 hours of instruction.”

A school year in Chicago “must have a minimum of 185 days OR 1,025 hours of instruction.” – 185 days of school? This is almost half a year of no school, aka vacation time! Wow. I should have moved to the US at the age of 5.

“In all countries, the longest break in the school year is during summer, lasting between 5 and 14 weeks. In America and Russia, summer holidays are normally three months, compared to six to eight weeks in Britain, The Netherlands and Germany.”

Why do we have month and month of summer vacation in the US? Most students are no farmer’s sons anymore – they don’t need to help during harvest season. Isn’t it about time for High Schoolers to spend more time in High School? Maybe that way we can catch up to the level of some European high schools.

US students with the long vacations might be unprepared when entering the workforce with their 5 days of vacation time.

How can it be that the US is in the top ten for the amount of student holidays but in the bottom 100 for the amount of vacation days for a regular worker.

So as a parent I have to decide – do I take 5 days off during Christmas or during summer to be with my child. While my child has to decide what he/she wants to do with the 180 other days that it can enjoy without school and parents?

Me as a parent – how do I afford child care for 180 days of the year? What if my 13 year old is still not to be trusted home alone – all daycare options stop at 12.

I realize that school is not a child care. But it kind of is.

I am done with high school, so I hereby vote to cut the amount of school holidays in half! (but only if I don’t become a High School teacher – otherwise I think we should increase those days)

Ps. “A school year must have at least ten (10) teacher workdays” Chicago – Just out of curiosity, why can’t the teachers have workdays during the summer holiday? Or the spring break? Or during the three weeks (?) off over Christmas? Or during turkey week?

About christink

PhD Candidate at VT
This entry was posted in integritys14. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Week 15 – the final Post – great class

1. Jay says:

Really great points and post. I agree with you on most of your points. I’d like to know how the summer vacations compare around the world. Although we do not have issues with harvesting the fields, as a high school student I did work in summers to help pay for college. Although it was not much (probably nothing by today’s standards!), it did help. But maybe this is also part of the issue- the cost of going to college in US compared to Europe.