advising

By maguire. Filed in Uncategorized  |  
TOP del.icio.us digg

I have been thinking much lately about what I will do when I become a professor because I have begun applying for jobs (one of which is my dream job). Specifically, my role as an adviser. I will be expected employ undergraduate and graduate students to achieve my research goals. I look back upon my education and have no experience as a manager and no training in this area. I have only my experience being managed and being advised. This, along with teaching, seems to be neglected in training of future professors. I have had the two ends of the management spectrum. My previous advisers kept me very focused and managed my time very well. I had little time to think about what I was doing, let alone the big picture. My current advisers give me enough rope to hang myself. I have been free to explore things that interest me and provide community service. Which one is best? I do not know. Maybe it is best that we find our own way as every manager needs to at some point, but then why is management an entire major?

One Comment

1. Comment by urzsmith:

I think that we eventually become a blend of what we saw. I already find that I use my MS advisor’s “tactics” in organizing my PhD program and research. It doesn’t mean that it’s right, it just is. And I agree with you… I would like to see workshops geared towards lab management, grant management, and student advising for grad students interested in academic positions.

Trackbacks / Pingbacks