Grad 5114: Thoughts on First Class and Connected Learning

I have been looking forward to our contemporary pedagogy class since I took the Preparing Futures Professoriate (PFP) class last Fall Semester and the first class showed me how fun and useful this class will be! ¬†Tonight’s class was great, I enjoyed every minute as it was so different from traditional classes that I have been taking all these years. I enjoyed the interaction between students and with the instructors. The stories of every student’s names were fascinating. I really appreciate that we are given this opportunity to share and learn different culture and lives of our classmates. It’s great to know that our classmates come from all the places in the world!

One of the new concept I learned in today’s class in connected learning. ¬†Even though I am familiar with all the social networks, technologies, online classes, etc., I have never read or used the word “connected learning” before. The two videos that Dr. Nelson showed us today were really inspiring. As I am dedicated to become an educator in the future, I want to learn and utilize the best education strategy in my future education career. As was demonstrated in the video, our life is changing by the rapid developing technology, so we should be open-minded and try our best to keep balance of old and new ways of learning.

We have discussed about things like E-journals and everything going electronically in our PFP class. I am still not a big fun for that from the educational side, as I believe that some of the traditional ways of learning are essential for students, especially when they are at a younger age. For example, due to the massive use of laptops, computers, ipads, typing are replacing writing in many ways, which is not a good sign for human development. I still believe that our future generations should be able to write on papers.

However, I am not against connected learning, or at least the concept or idea that they are trying to express. I think it would be an efficient way to deliver knowledge and information. In addition, I think it’s a good way to help improve social equality. Connected learning would give more people more opportunities to learn what they want to know and gain the skills they want to develop, so people will have more chances to choose their careers or types of works they want to do.

As a gerontology student, I care about aging issues a lot, so whenever I learn something new, I tend to think about their relationships with aging issues. After learning about connected learning, I have this idea that it could be combined with caregiving as well. I think it would be great to develop the concept of “connected caregiving”. Things could be easier when everything is connected! For instance, when the adult children are the caregivers of their older parents, if connected caregiving model is established, then they would be able to know how well their parents are doing, and know their concerns at the first time. The older parents are also connected with the community, so they can have access to the community resources and services.

Anyway, tonight’s class was really fun and I feel that I have learned a lot new things in a short amount of time.

6 thoughts on “Grad 5114: Thoughts on First Class and Connected Learning”

1. Great to hear that you are enjoying the class so far. I also miss actually writing things down. When I take notes in class, I still use a pen and paper because I think I retain information better that way. I do wonder though if this is the best way for the current generation of learners to retain information. Many of the students we teach have never known a world in which they did not write papers on a computer, text, or engage through social media. What if the best way for our students to learn is actually using the new electronic methods of note-taking and idea creation?

1. Thank you for your reply, Greg! I understand your question whether it’s the best way for students today to learn is using the new electronic methods, but my thought about ways of learning is that, writing in pens is not only a way of learning, but also a skill that we need to learn and maintain. It’s like no matter how transportation technology has developed, we still need to learn to walk and run, if we are able to…

2. Hey,

If you go back though history, multi-modal communication the chalk and slate, to the pen, to the computer, are all met with skepticism, but ultimately yield a continuum of techniques and some sort of equilibrium between the methods. What could be the next thing after computers– what of the future?

Learning and re-learning into old age will be more important with the increasing amount of technology. This provides many new opportunities to keep up with future technology by using a life-long learner mindset.

Is connected-caregiving something that could be not only the technology that defines the are but also the space it is in? A number of projects in architecture are focused on how one ages in place, could connected-caregiving be reflected in the space it is held within? Or do we use connected learning as a focus for those in retirement that wish to keep learning?

K

1. Thank you for your reply, Ken! I agree with you that we need to have a life-long learner mindset. I appreciate your ideas about connected-caregiving. Connected-caregiving is not a concept that is well-defined in the aging field, but I think adding space factor into this concept is a great idea. I know some architecture students are doing research about designing spaces for inter generational programs for children and older adults. Like you said, I think connected learning should be a good way to help older adults in retirement keep up with their learning experience.