“Racism is a structure not an event” – Robin DiAngelo

This year’s ACPA (American College Personnel Association) Convention theme is BE BOLD. This theme is very appropriate for recent events and our class post this week on Inclusive Pedagogy. What does that mean? “Being BOLD requires actions, takes resilience, requires engaging complexity, necessitates deep reflection, is a learning process, is rooted in racial justice and decolonization, and involves knowing one’s roots.” I completely agree with this statement and believe it is a foundation to what it means to be inclusive. How can you create an inclusive space when you haven’t exposed yourself to differences? How can you encourage others to be inclusive when maybe you never felt excluded because you’ve always belonged? As in always part of the majority. “I don’t want you to understand me better, I want you to understand yourselves. Your survival has never depended on your knowledge of white culture. In fact, it’s required your ignorance” This was shared by our opening keynote speaker Dr. Robin DiAngelo. She brought up so many issues to light about how if want to be “inclusive” we need to start by deeply understanding Racism and how it is embedded in our history and society today.  I also feel that this has been an issue that was ignored before and it is now being talked about because of everything happening around us…Black lives matter, anti immigration laws, LGBTQ+ shootings, women’s rights, white supremacy and many more. Injustices are happening right now and will continue to happen. Therefore, I think that if we truly want to be “inclusive” we need to educate ourselves about the systems of oppression and racism that are embedded in our society and how we can truly engage as educators in dismantling them. Lastly, I want to conclude with what Dr. DiAngelo asked:

chris

The piece of embedded racism that I recently came to understand better is how the history of the United States was taught to us. We were given this narrative of progress being made by the Europeans who settled here, and everything that stood in their way was a challenge. Or, the picture that has been painted of the South during the Antebellum as some glorious good o’l time. Want something more recent? I think of how civil rights moment is portrayed as having solved race issues with the passage of some legislation like the Civil Rights Act. It made me felt lied to, realizing what I grew up believing was a grossly distorted view. To apply this to my practice as an educator, it underlines the importance of hearing all the sides of a story/issue. Just because it was what you were told all your life doesn’t make it the most true.

arash

I think it is fairly a good assessment that the history of civilization is narrative through the eyes of straight-white-male observers. I can think of so many characters that were marginalized: Harriet Tubman, Alan Turing, Hidden Figures and so on. Re-interpreting history is always difficult because it brings up a sense of guilt to many people ( who might associate themselves with the identities same as the historical oppressors). It is a difficult but necessary discussion.

Kadie Britt

This is a great post. Chris also makes a really good, yet frustrating, point about how in US history classes, we’ve been lied to. In my US History class in high school, it was never emphasized to us that the civil war was about slavery. Again, like Chris said, the confederacy was portrayed as the good side and just a bunch of good southern people fighting for their homeland. I was born and raised in North Carolina (pretty southern, but not the deep south) and in my innocent naivety, really believed (until about the past 5 years when my eyes were finally opened) that the southeast was really the only racist place in the United States. Yea, wrong. Please don’t judge me too harshly. I also remember thinking that just because of civil rights and the civil rights act being passed, everyone was treated equally and fairly. That’s so far from true. It’s 20-freaking-18 and everyone still doesn’t receive fair and equal treatment. It’s going to take a revolution to break our system.

Ashley

Luisa,
Your blog post is spot on with my feelings about this situation. My favorite quote that you posted from Dr. DiAngelo is, “I don’t want you to understand me better, I want you to understand yourselves. Your survival has never depended on your knowledge of white culture. In fact, it’s required your ignorance”. This is so true. Often, people of color are taught to be socialized to white culture but white folx don’t have to take it upon themselves to understand their people’s past and the significant hand that their people played in our countries history and how they are (sometimes not all the time) perpetuating and continuing this cycle. It’s frustrating. I do agree, in order to make a change we must first understand the path that was taken to get us to this place.

britthip

Hey Luisa,

I agree this is a very timely topic in our current political climate. I sometimes wonder if people still don’t understand that race is a human concept not a biological one. On the DNA level, you and I are no different from each other, other than my Y-chromosome. We have the same DNA, the same genes, and there would be no way a human or computer could tell the difference. Only by understanding racism and how our behavior is guided by the human concept of race, can we “evolve” as a species and civilization.
-Britton

madden mobile hacks

Many thanks sir, my utmost gratitude for the effort of your team,
i am a regular visitor to your articles indeed, i thought to, (out of courtsey) provide some suggestion and feedback of my
own , would be thankful if you could reply or acknowledge my suggestions to make this website more content oriented .

Regards.
madden mobile hack

Dr. Tammy Hall

“Racism is a structure not an event” is a quote by J. Kēhaulani Kauanui from his work
A Structure, Not an Event”: Settler Colonialism and Enduring Indigeneity

Ms. DeAngelo used and cited this in her book White Fragility

Absera Academy

Thank You for sharing this noteworthy information in your article. I have been surfing about this information for a week, and finally, I found. I’ll bookmark this blog and assure that I share new stuff proper here.

Python Training in Madurai

Women Clothes

Buy Eastern wear or Western wear in stores or online. Free delivery in Pakistan. 30 days exchange policy. Worldwide delivery available. Free Shipping in Pakistan.

Company ; Tassels.pk
phone: 03332449649
Address: Shop No 4B, Mateen Center Main Tariq Road Karachi
Address 2: Shop No 3, Block 3 Near Levis Store Main KDA Market Gulshan

Evelyn

Choose Your Best Guitar
The majority of the websites which provide these are filled with mistakes. You have to browse through all of the pop-ups, advertisements, leave popovers, and much more while attempting to read the display. We constructed this website in hopes that other guitar players will find it effortless to use.

Evelyn

Choose Your Best Guitar