Just another Blogs@VT Sites site
RSS icon Email icon
  • A look into the future.. via 1988

Posted on March 1st, 2012 lisskane No comments

Towards the very end of The Six Elements and Causal Relations among them, Laurel mentions “The Knowledge Navigator”, a promotional video by Apple from 1988. My curiosity sparked, I immedietely went to YouTube to see if I could find it. I found myself thinking it would be a perfect place for a hyperlink. Almost immediately my mind jumped back and forth between the words iPad, Siri, Facetime. This “product of the future” seems to be a perfect combination of so many of the amazing pieces of technology/media we use today. Networking, internet, unlimited resources, immediate news/knowledge/sources, video chatting, touch screen, voice command. It is amazing to think that today’s cutting edge technology was first thought of 20 some years ago. I can’t help but wonder if people could actually get a glimpse at the future (2011), what would they think of our current technology? Would they be impressed? Would they have expected more? less?Anyways this video was totally cool to watch.  But don’t just take my word for it.. everyone, check it out! WATCH

I also really liked the slogan at the end. “The power to be your best.” I feel like that ties in nicely with what we have been talking about lately. What do computers really do for us? Is it the medium? A message? I like what apple is trying to say here. Or what I think they are. The computer is a tool. It may have human like capabilities, especially in the future (or today). But when it comes down to it, the computer is a tool for humans to use. It is not made to replace humans or do our work, but to make our work and lives easier. To aid us and make things more convienant. The computer is a tool that we can use a much of or as little of as we want. If we want  a lot out of it, we can get that. It is there to help us reach our goals, to help us reach our full potential.

One last interesting thought. The video was set it September 2011. Apple came out with siri in October 2011. hmm…