Just another Blogs@VT Sites site
RSS icon Email icon
  • A Glance at the Future

Posted on January 25th, 2012 lisskane No comments

As We May Think – Vannevar Bush

I found it extremely interesting reading about future thoughts about cameras. First off, it was funny having “cameras where you could immediately see the image” be such a forward and exciting idea. I am a completely picture taking junkie and I can’t imagine not being able to look at my film right away. He mentioned it would be convenient a lot of times and I think that was an understatement. It was also interesting what he thought future cameras would be like. A walnut sized camera on your forehead that took a picture whenever you looked at something worthy of capturing. That invention has not been made, and I am not sure if it is possible, but that would be an extremely cool upgrade in the future. It would be so cool to look back at memories from the very perspective you first saw them. So many moments that are now forgotten, would be captured forever. Another interesting nugget was the piece about a future device for individual use, “which is a sort of mechanized private file and library.” It would store a person’s books, records and files in its’ large memory and would be simple to look things up with exceeding speed and flexibility. This idea, which he called “memex”, sure sounds an awfully lot like a computer. Having all of our files and records at the tip of our fingers within seconds, organized and stored away neatly, is something my generation probably takes for granite. We grew up with this organization system and can’t imagine our world without it.