Digital Pedagogy

This week in Contemporary Pedagogy, I dedicated time to reading through the articles assigned to us regarding Digital Pedagogy. Honestly, I found the readings to be rather interesting seeing as we are currently in a purely online format, or at least I am. From here, I was not necessarily sure what to make of the transition at first. I found myself craving the in person interaction, although I think we can all agree that it is nice not having to drive to campus each day. As for my students in the Public Speaking class I teach, I have absolutely found a difference in them between our in person classroom setting and the Zoom one. I feel as though they started to become a bit distant with their coursework and less engaged when the transition first occurred, however, that does not seem to be the case now.

I am not sure if this new shift is because we have more or less become “used to” the pandemic at hand, or if it is because we are purely online for the entirety of this semester. That being said, the only negative shift I have encountered seems to be our students overall attitudes. I often find myself having to play the role of a cheerier individual than I typically am in order to try and lighten the mood within the classroom, but I am not sure if that is because of the online delivery or not. I suppose that life is simply tough for all of us right now, and the only true way for me to tell the difference between online attitudes and in person attitudes is to teach online once the pandemic is totally over.

All in all, the readings this week definitely got the cogs in my brain turning. I am sure that I will continue to see digital pedagogy to some degree in my future, and I hope to become an even better teacher through this experience with Covid.

2 Replies to “Digital Pedagogy”

1. Your comment saying it is difficult to separate opinions on digital learning and feelings for the world as a whole right now was powerful. As educators, I feel that we get caught up in the failures of an assignment or a classroom’s energy. The world has everyone feeling many emotions at once right now. Course results are going to be a function of not just the online format but everything else that is going on as well. It is important that we all keep that in mind!

2. I do think your comment about having to be “cheerier” and lift the mood is very interesting. I think especially over Zoom, where many students have their cameras off and mics muted (which is important in larger classes), it can be extremely easy for there to be a disconnect between students and teachers. It’s also very easy for students to be distracted by any number of things when they are not physically seated in a lecture hall. I think it would be really interesting to see more research on how best to engage students in the Zoom format specifically, especially when many don’t want to volunteer, though I do think your method of trying to lighten the mood does seem like it would be helpful!