Finding Your Teaching Voice

This semester, I am taking Contemporary Pedagogy in order to become a more effective instructor for the sake of my students. As an undergraduate, I have had a number of professors in the past who were truly impactful in making me into who I am today, and the best way I figured I could “pay it forward” is to continue to push on with my learning so that I too may be the driving force behind another students’ dream to become a professor.

This week’s readings went over finding your teaching voice as well as how to be yourself in the classroom. Having been a public speaking teacher to more than 240 students since my time began here at Tech, I found this reading to be very reflective of the lessons I had to learn along the way. From building an environment that was inclusive, to knowing the difference between being a friendly instructor and a push-over, I have had to evolve my teaching in order to grow as a teacher. Although I am still growing, I feel confident enough to be myself within my classroom, and I can tell it has a positive impact on the students I inform every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

From the reading, I specifically aligned myself with the thought process put forth by Sarah E. Deel. I put a strong focus on being approachable and enthusiastic, so much to the point where I received my favorite evaluation of all time: “Mans is a hoss, an absolute chief master” to whatever extent that means. I hope to continue to harbor such positivity and mindfulness within the classroom as well as while I continue on my journey to become a professor, following my dream and educating the youth of the world.

3 Replies to “Finding Your Teaching Voice”

1. I enjoyed reading about your experience as a teacher for public speaking classes. It sounds like you bring your full self to your classes. I am curious how long you have been teaching. It is great you found a balance between being friendly while still expecting students to learn course material. I hope the more teaching experiences I have, the more I will learn this skill.

2. Hello Lincoln. I had a great time reading your experience in teaching in Public Speaking. 240+ students is a large class. I am really happy to know that you feel more and more confident in teaching. I like your idea of putting a strong focus on being approachable and enthusiastic. It is essential for a student to feel comfortable enough to approach an instructor. A lot of the learning happens outside the textbook and through the teacher-student and student-student interactions. Finally, I wish you the best on your future journey.
    ~ Ri. 🙂

3. Enthusiasm has always been a big focus of mine when I consider the teacher I want to be. I worry about being too soft-spoken that students could think the subject as dull or not worthwhile. So I got in touch with a super memorable professor of mine from years ago just to ask him about how they remained so energetic to keep the classroom alive. They surprised me by saying there is a definite element of performance they take into the classroom, since they are normally reserved in most situations (like me!). Even though it might not be our most relaxed self, it is nice to know that our joy and interest in the subject can still be seen from students if we don’t hide it.