Women in Higher Education in United States and China

When I came to this country, I heard about much more voice about women in higher education than I ever heard in China. As a woman in higher education, I started to develop interests in this field.

I started to look into this topic by searching for data. In United States, by 2014, more women than men enter and graduate from college. There are 57% women and 43% men to enroll in college. However, 74% of college and university presidents are male. Continuing at the current rate (1% every two years), it would take 48 years for women to hold half of all college presidencies in America. By 2014, women make up 40% of faculty members teaching at U.S. colleges and universities, and women account for 24% of full professors. In most fields of science and engineering, arts, humanities and social science, male full professors outnumbered females by nearly 4:1. There is one area where women have made major progress, the ivy league. In 1993, 0 out of 8 ivy league presidents are women. In 2014, 4 out of 8 ivy league presidents are women. (All the data comes from eLearners.com)

In China, by 2015, there are 52.5% women and 47.5% men to enroll in college. From 2011, there were more women enroll in undergraduate study than men. By prediction, when it comes to 2020, there will be 55% women and 45% men to enroll in college. By 2030, there will be 57.5%-60% women and 40%-42.5% men to enroll in college, and then will stay that way for a long time. (All the data comes from learning.sohu.com)

We can see that the enrollment level of women in USA and China were different, but China will have an increase in the future. Also, I think researchers in China cares more about the students when it comes to women in higher education, it will be better if they start to look into the leadership and faculty of women in higher education. I will be exciting to see more data about women’s leadership and faculty in China.