Voice to the Voiceless

For this post, I did some research on my field’s, well, research, which, in comparison to other fields, is not as exhaustive. This isn’t to say there aren’t scholars of creative writing—there are plenty! However, there are, likewise, plenty of critics of creative-writing research and creative-writing pedagogy, in general. I, for example, have never been required to open a peer-reviewed journal and conduct research on the field of creative writing. It’s just not a thing. You read creative works; you discuss them; you write them.

I disagree with those who fail to see the importance of examining creative-writing theory, and I’m happy to have found the inclusive journal I did, which is open to discussions pertaining to vitally important topics. Journal of Creative Writing (JCWS), a peer-reviewed, open-access journal of Rochester Institute of Technology, covers the teaching, practice, theory and history of creative writing by accepting articles that fall under its sections of “Research: Qualitative and Quantitative,” “Social Action,” “Theory, Culture, and Craft,” “Diversity and Inclusion,” “History,” “Pedagogy Professionalization and Labor,” “Digital and Multimedia/Multimodal,” “Reviews” and “Reprints/Rethinks.”

As for addressing open access, the journal covers this topic as well as explains its purpose, goals and scope right on its home page, writing:

“We believe knowledge is best constructed in an open conversation among diverse voices and multiple perspectives. Therefore, our editors actively seek to include work from marginalized and underrepresented scholars. Journal of Creative Writing Studies is dedicated to the idea that humanities research ought to be accessible and available to all.”

From what I’m seeing, the journal does indeed seek to satisfy its self-proclaimed goals, and includes critical, well constructed pieces that I’d consider examining with my creative-writing students and as a creative-writing student, myself, such as “White Writing Teachers (or David Foster Wallace vs. James Baldwin),” “Place-Based Pedagogy and the Creative Writing Classroom,” “On Cliché: Expression, Cognition and Understanding,” “Studying Creative Writing—Successfully,” “Second Language Creative Writers: Identities and Writing Processes,” “Measuring Writing Engagement and Emotional Tone in L2 Creative Writing: Implications for Interdisciplinarity” and “In the Group Home: Disenfranchised Youth and the Creative Writing Workshop as Intervention.”

If you’re interested in any of the aforementioned topics the journal covers, I encourage checking out the website. You’ll find more info here.