Reddit + Python

I didn’t really have any interest in learning Python in depth in the past. However, all of that changed a few days ago when I was playing on reddit, if you don’t already know what reddit is then you shoudln’t google it. It will save you a lot of time to not know what reddit is. Anyways, back to my story, as I was browsing through reddit I stumbled upon their source code. For those who are interested here’s their git hub:

https://github.com/reddit/

This took me by surprise because I didn’t know Python was that powerful, I mean reddit is entirely written in Python! So I looked through their files, and I was blown away. I also didn’t understand 90% of it but it seemed super interesting. This led me to decide my next independent web development project will be written in Python. I just wanted to share my new interest with everyone!

4 thoughts on “Reddit + Python

1. python powers a lot of websites, it and Ruby are probably the most popular languages for web application back-ends. If you are interested in creating a database driven site then the Django framework, written in python, is a good place to start.

2. I knew that Reddit was written in Python but never had looked at the source code. Just trolling through the code there are definitely parts that I have no idea about but other areas make some sort of sense! I even found the Makefile that builds everything and understood some of that too. It’s always interesting to look at code after you have somewhat of an understanding of the language and trying to figure out exactly what it does!