© 2013 leahw93. All rights reserved.

On Prokudin-Gorskii

When I first looked through the Prokudin-Gorskii collection, right away I started thinking “how am I ever going to choose one of these for the blog?!”  So instead of choosing just one, I chose a few – and I’m going to analyze Prokudin-Gorskii himself!

As we discussed in class, something all of these images have in common is that they are in color, and the ones I chose have particularly vibrant colors.  For the time period, this was highly uncommon.  While Prokudin-Gorskii was not the creator of this method of color photography (called the three color principle), he did effectively use it to record and document the Russian Empire.

As a photographer myself, I find his work extremely interesting and enjoyed looking at it through the social and economic perspective of late Imperial Russia.  After doing a little research on him, I found that he was born into the Russian nobility.  He graduated from the Institute of Applied Sciences in St. Petersburg, where he studied chemistry, and then traveled to Paris.  He wrote books, taught school, and helped perfect camera designs.

Prokudin-Gorskii’s images of the vast Russian Empire reveal just how vast the social structure of Russia was during this time.  I find it ironic that as a noble, he basically took photographs of those who were exact opposites of him.  While people like Prokudin-Gorskii had access to things like college, the resources to build a camera, money, etc., the people we see in his photographs are the ones who we most often associate with Imperial Russia:  the poor peasants.

It will be interesting to see how this social gap changes and evolves through the course of Russian/Soviet history.  I have an idea on what is going to happen thanks to Dr. Nelson’s Soviet Culture class, but I can’t wait to learn even more about it in this one!

These images are titled (in order): Melon Vendor (1911), Fabric Merchant (1911), A Group of Workers Harvesting Tea (1907-1915), and On the Karolitskhali River (1907-1915)

They were created by: Prokudin-Gorskiĭ, Sergeĭ Mikhaĭlovich, 1863-1944, photographer

The permanent record here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/prk2000000564/

Biographical information on Prokudin-Gorskii:  http://www.oxfordartonline.com.ezproxy.lib.vt.edu:8080/subscriber/article/grove/art/T069807

1. I’ve always found the “Melon Vendor” compelling. Thank you for providing us some background on this accomplished photographer! What do we make of the diversity of the people featured in the photographs you selected? What sources did you use to learn about Prokudin-Gorsky’s biography?

2. Kelsey Shober

Leah,

This was a great idea for a blog entry. I agree that there are SO MANY different photographs that have great potential to be used. It really is hard to choose just one, and I’m glad that you chose a variety because it really added to your post without overwhelming the reader. Your post really helped me to remember that in works of art, such as photography, it is just as important to know as much about the creator as it is to know about the subject. Information on Gorskii put the way that I viewed some of the photographs in a slightly different light. The information also caused me to wonder what was going through Gorskii’s head as he met with and photographed so many people who lived very differently than he did. Thanks for that!

3. rkw15

I’m glad that you choose to talk about the man himself. I had learned about the photos in another class, but not in as much detail as you presented above. It’s also interesting to note that many Russian artist, not just photographers, portrayed the lives of peasants in their works.

4. Schnaitman

I enjoyed this week’s post on the October Manifesto however I am having trouble commenting on that post.

5. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually recognise what you are speaking about!
    Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my site =).
    We will have a link alternate arrangement between us

6. SUPER fast shipping & very much appreciated!!!!

7. Great post.

Feel free to visit my blog post; old town tandem kayak (http://www.youtube.com)

8. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

9. Examples Of The Strategy That Is In fact Assisting bag-industry professionals To Improve

10. The Ten MostWicked bag Secrets and cheats… And How To Make use of them

11. This Is The Practice That Is Actually Assisting bag-gurus To Grow

12. People Previously used to Laugh about japan – Now We laugh at all of them

13. Genuine Ways To Learn watch Plus The Way One Might Link up with The watch Elite

14. Great one. no one says these kind of “Apple ipad device Lacks” info. but they are lot of idea within ipad. therefore let reveal everything else.. thank you.

15. Grooveshark can recommend music for your requirements based on what is by now inside your playlist if you click the radio button along with won’t dictate a type.

16. Tubidy Mp3 application, which is suitable for all iOS and Android devices, you can easily access the Mp3 download application from your phones.

17. yovu

Tubidy is a program that you can add, watch and download any video you want. This program allows you to watch videos like similar video programs, by separating them into folders, you can watch the video you search from the folder you want. https://tubidy.yovu.net

18. Download New Music BY : Reza Bahram | Del With Text And 2 Quality 320 And 128 On Music-fa

19. Download New Music BY : Reza Bahram | Gole Eshgh With Text And 2 Quality 320 And 128 On Music-fa

20. Mohamadamin Zarei – “Daryaye Eshgh” > Old Song > Download With Text And 320 & 128 Links In Musico

21. Ragheb – “Faribkar” > New Song > Download With Text And 320 & 128 Links In Musico

22. Unique and rich information.
    Lifestyle, fashion, celebrity and news website in Nigeria
    Naija Celebrity News

23. e-ticaret denilince bir çok firma ve şahıs bu işi yapmakta. Pandemi döneminde parlayan bir sektör olan internet satışları için güvenilir partner olarak platinum sistemleri size yol gösterici olacaktır.Hazır E-ticaret paketleri fiyatları konusunda iddialı olan firmayı incelemeden karar vermeyin. e-ticaret sitesi kurmak yazımız size yardımcı olacaktır