Spring Break Update + This Week’s Sources

Spring Break: a time of spring cleaning, sunshine, and relaxation. And research, research, research. Well, sort of. I am now anxiously awaiting feedback on the rough draft of research project. Thus, my research has taken a bit of a back seat. Nevertheless, I am still keeping my eyes open and I am remaining committed to exploring all available sources in my fields of study. Alongside this continued research is work on my own conference presentation. In less than two weeks, I will be traveling to Kentucky with Dr. Nelson to present my research on dogs in World War I. I am now in the harried phase of deciding precisely what I want to include in my presentation and that which I wish to exclude. Wish me luck!

For this week’s source update, I thought I would touch on an interesting source I recently discovered: a children’s book, something I mentioned a few posts ago as a potential resource. This book entitled, contentWar Dog Heroes: True Stories of Dog Courage in Wartime is a collection of stories about war dogs, including the infamous Stubby, World War I canine hero. It also has stories from other wars as well such as World War II and Vietnam. Published in 1997, certainly removed from the time period I am studying, I still believe it is a highly interesting source. In fact if nothing else, it made me wonder: why are these dogs being presented to children as war heroes? Are we still seeking to boost civilian morale even in a seemingly peaceful time? Are we preparing for future use of dogs in wartime? Or am I over-analyzing this book and it is merely entertainment for children?