A Digital Memoir

For my final class project, I’m re-tracing my technological childhood/life, digging back to my family’s first laptop, to having Siri on my iPhone today. Here’s just a little excerpt from it all:

“In the fifth grade in Indiana, we had computer class. Imagine that! We were taught how to type on giant old desktop computers. Our teacher, Mr. Jester, seemed to have a personal vendetta against computer mice, because we were (very strictly) instructed to memorize keyboard shortcuts and were tested on our ability to use the computer without the crutch that was the mouse.

At that point in my life, technology was just being introduced to me. I was still looking up words in the fat red dictionary that my dad had in college, and homework and papers were always handwritten in cursive.

When we moved to Virginia and I started 6th grade at a Catholic school, we had computer class too! Except this time, the computers were newer. The typing software was in the form of a space game, and there were plastic orange “skins” we had to place on the keyboard to prevent cheating on our typing tests. We were taught to never close our documents without ensuring their digital safety through a corny ‘Jesus saves!’ joke.  Classrooms had TVs (with cable!) built in them, and people were starting to get cellphones.”

About Kristin Sorenson

Aspiring PR professional. Virginia Tech '14. Spanish. Communication. Professional Writing. Winchester, VA. ¡Pregúntame sobre mis experiencias en Ecuador!
This entry was posted in Digital Media, Scholarly. Bookmark the permalink.