About Me: Blog Post 1

Hello everyone, welcome to my blog! My name is Kayla Mizelle and I am a Sophomore history major from Richmond, Virginia. I am studying history with the intent of becoming a middle school history teacher.

The history that I most enjoy studying is, America in the 1960s. I first realized my interest in the subject in my high school’s history club where our instructor showed us the CNN 1960’s documentary series on Netflix. I hope in this class to learn new perspectives from the time outside the traditional history. Additionally, I am really interested in California, specifically San Francisco, during the 1960s psychedelic movement.

A little bit about me, I love being outside. A few hobbies of mine include fishing, kayaking, hiking, and hammocking.

Family is very important to me and my family is a little different and very large.  I have a mother and a father who love my siblings and I very much as well as a stepfather and stepmother. I have two younger biological siblings who are twins, Ashley and Vance or as I like to call them, my best friends. I also have three older stepbrothers, one stepsister in law, and pretty soon I will be a step-aunt! If that wasn’t hard enough to follow we also have quite a few pets who are more like siblings,  we have two dogs, two cats, and a gecko.

I’m looking forward to going deeper into the history of the sixties this semester!

One Reply to “About Me: Blog Post 1”

1. Hi Kayla — I’m glad to have you in the class. I have a complicated family, too (step-parents, a brother, 2 step-brothers, and a half-sister), so your family makes perfect sense to me. In any event, I’m excited to have someone so interested in the Sixties in this class, and I’m eager to see what you think and write about the material we cover.