So why am I called the Reluctant Blogger?

Well… frankly because I’m only doing this for an assignment. I can’t imagine having my own blog if it weren’t required for a class. Perhaps that’s too honest of a reason, and perhaps it’s a bit rude. I really don’t mean it to be rude… it’s just the truth. I’m just not sure I have anything of great importance to share with the world. Before you judge, let me explain.

1) There is a perfect story that I will steal from The Existential Buddhist:

“Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Peshicha (1765-1827) used to say that everyone should keep a piece of paper with “for my sake the world was created” in one pocket, and a piece of paper with “I am but dust and ashes” in another.  The Rabbi was expressing an existential truth: each individual being is important, but not self-important.”

I believe that much of today’s self-promotional culture pays too much attention to the “self-important” aspect of this story. There is a ridiculous amount of “Look at me! Look at me!” in the world: seeking external validation for who you are rather than seeking validation within yourself. Blogs (and many forms of social media) can feed that feeling of self importance. Now… I said “can feed,” not “do feed.” There’s a difference.

2) If you don’t have the time and energy to do something right, then it’s probably not worth doing it in the first place. And if you go through the thought process to decide that it is, in fact, worth doing, then you should try your damnedest to do it right. There are so many ins-and-outs with social media that I think it’s done poorly a lot of the time. This doesn’t provide a very solid presentation of the author. Yeah, yeah… things like WordPress have made things more accessible, but a poorly presented or poorly used social/online media platform reflects worse on someone than not having one at all. I’m pretty sure that I’ve been left behind by the social media technology train. That’s ok. I like a good walk.

3) I’m not really all that fascinating. But… blogs lead us to believe that we are. Check out this language from the WordPress tutorial: “…writing brilliant prose and designing the best and most lovely website possible.” Really? All of us will write “brilliant prose?” The brighter the stars surrounding the sun, the dimmer the sun seems. One could argue that the brighter the stars, the greater the overall light. Yeah… I get that. But I’m all about cooperation, not competition. I don’t have energy for a giant online competition.

I know I’m not horribly boring, but I think it goes back to the story above. There should be a balance. I won’t make ground-breaking discoveries or insights, and that’s perfectly fine. I’m not trying to be famous or convince the world that I’m brilliant and fascinating. Cause I’m pretty run-of-the-mill, and that’s AOK with me.

4) I’m completely annoyed that I keep using “I.” I, I, I!! ME, ME, ME!! Ugh… OK… so in future posts… since I do have to have them… perhaps there can be a focus on promoting others and their work/thoughts. Yeah… that seems to be a way to go…

5) I fully understand that the internet and all its wondrous functions have provided a space for us to have communities of thought, whereas traditional communities were formed around place. OK… that’s fine. I eagerly participate in my community of thought in my university studies, so I acknowledge that there may be a positive place for this sort of engagement online with a broader group of folks. But… right now, I’m pretty dang full of trying to gain a hold on everything I’m working on in my community of place and my current community of thought. I am not sure I have much time to devote to yet another community. I suppose that all I can do is try and hope that no one has too many expectations. I cannot stand half-a**ing things and over-promising and not delivering.

So… now that you may or may not have read through the whining, I’ll promise to reluctantly engage to the best of my ability in this community of thought. But I’d much rather have a conversation and coffee with you.

1 thought on “So why am I called the Reluctant Blogger?