Inclusive Pedagogy; The time is now

See the source imageInclusive Pedagogy looks at how educators and administrators can make classrooms and campuses broadly accessible spaces, to support all students and allow them to fully participate, actively learn and thrive in these settings [1].

According to Emory University, “This pedagogy represents an approach to teaching that values diversity, promotes social justice, and supports student engagement and academic growth. An inclusive classroom also can help to change any discriminatory attitudes that students may have learned elsewhere. On the other hand, classrooms that are segregated can support attitudes against students who are “different” in any way.”

Educators must strive to bridge the gap and enforce and inclusive pedagogy style in order to ensure an equitable, accessible, comfortable and safe place for learning for students. Fostering this approach in one’s teaching style helps to truly put the focus on students who are ultimately to benefit from the methods that seek to bring value to their learning experience.

As a unique practice, I try to implement techniques that support diversity of opinion and value team-based learning and interaction. I avoid any preferential treatment to students, and I utilize tools that will support effective learning and engagement for all my students. Educators and administrators must realize that the old tenets of education, can longer support a diverse pool of students. The need to incorporate inclusive pedagogy is imperative to ensure positive and sustainable learning outcomes.

Reference:

1. Retrieved from: http://cfde.emory.edu/programs/teaching/inclusive-pedagogy/index.html

4 Replies to “Inclusive Pedagogy; The time is now”

1. Thanks for the post. I liked how you pointed out to changing discriminatory attitudes. Also, some individuals have negative attitudes towards diversity but their are not aware of it. So as you have mentioned, we do want to be inclusive, but that can happen if we set an approach which can change the negative attitudes.

2. I agree with your post. As you said in your post, I think it is vital to make sure that the focus is on the students. This will lead to larger participation and discussion among students. Additionally, it will make students, who might have not thought about inclusion as much as other students think more about it.

3. Thanks for your post. I totally agree with you that implementing “inclusive pedagogy” techniques can lead to open and fruitful classroom environments which can improve the educational performance of all students.

4. Thanks for your post, and for pulling out such a packed quote. I was really intrigued by the part of the quote that says “An inclusive classroom also can help to change any discriminatory attitudes that students may have learned elsewhere.” This quote is frustrating to me, because I don’t think that the inclusive classroom is about “changing” anyone intentionally. I do recognize that we invite people to a “brave space” such that they will be brave in listening authentically to others and reflecting thoroughly on their views, but I am dissapointed that they used the word change. I know that they are centered in on changing discriminatory attitudes, which is great, and of course shouldn’t be allowed in any inclusive, safe or brave space, but is change the right word? I really hope to hear back on your thoughts in regards to this…

To take it a step further this stems from my frustration with many forms of education teaching students what to think rather than how to think. And to focus on the possibility to change a students seems wrong – shouldn’t we be focused on helping them think through different points of view and reflect on their own opinions? I think inclusive spaces should be about authentically and respectively engaging with others with the facilitators supporting the adherence to ground rules and the ability to reflectively think about the points that have been risen.