How digital games are changing learning?

Most people like to learn through digital games especially children which means using the games as learning tools. Digital games guide learners to learn subject matter in context, as part of an interactive method (Aurora University, 2019). Those games should be designed well through instructional strategies or learning theories to educate people in the good way and make the learning environment more effective. Games should make the learners more engaged and interested and that could motivate them to learn. Learners are in the position to provide feedback for the designer, the developer or the instructor related to the games if they are useful or not. Thus, the instructor should let the learners evaluate the games because that is the best window to make the education through the games more successful.

Using digital games help learners to learn from failures and successes they face through the learning process. In addition, when the instructor finds a good game and want to implement that in the classroom for the students, the instructor should go through the game and play it to see if that could be helpful for learning before providing it to the students. Also, we should consider some issues in advance to plan for using games in education like which subjects can works through digital games, the age of learners, and the timing of the learning process because all of these aspects play important roles in education.

Resource

Aurora University, 2019 (https://online.aurora.edu/game-based-learning/).

12 Responses

1. Great post, I feel the same way as you do. I really like the idea of incentive based learning and I think using games to implement this type of learning is a great idea. I also like that fact that we can use games to kind of “trick” kids into being excited about learning and technology.

1. Right! I have tried the using of incentive based learning with implementing the games, and it worked very well. Thank you for your comment.

2. Hi Khaled,

I am interested in this feedback loop you mention between the instructor/designer of the game and the learners. I agree that this is an important part of using any pedagogical strategy, but I think that with gaming the key is that learning should be fun. If an instructor/designer can keep it fun, the permutations of any game are potentially endless.

I was thinking about what you were saying about discovering subjects that can be paired with digital gaming, and it reminded me of a game that a professor of mine introduced to me when I got to graduate school. It was an activity he designed in the 70’s to gamify planning and landscape design in the classroom. (I had no idea that was a thing prior to coming to VT!) So that got me thinking about the history of gaming in education and I found myself at this startup education tech firm called Immersed and one of their blog posts: http://www.immersedgames.com/the-history-of-educational-video-gaming/. I thought you might find it interesting, it talks about different games through out the decades and how they have been applied to different subjects. After reading that post, I’d be willing to bet that if you could dream of any class/subject/topic, there is potential to gameify it and use it in your classroom, regardless of age group or academic standing.

1. I totally agree with you Sara, if the instructor/designer can keep it fun, the permutations of any game are potentially endless.
      I read the post for Jeremy Zhen about the history of gaming in education in the past and now, and it is an interesting post and shows how the digital learning is helpful through gaming. I highly recommend teachers to try using games in their classes and see how they are very helpful. I appreciate your participation.

3. Thank you for your post. The reading materials this week, as well as your post, reminded me of how my kindergarten child has been learning through a digital education program. When he started to learn English, I used to use that mobile application. The program is also being used in his classroom as well. What my son really loves in that program is the reward system by which he can earn tickets whenever he finishes every learning activity, and he can use the tickets to buy something for his virtual avatar, rooms, or pets. I think this reward system really motivate children to move forward and keep going their learning, but sometimes, in the case of my son, he seems to be more focusing on how to get more tickets than learning. As you mentioned, it might be really important to consider both pros and cons of the use of digital games in teaching and learning, and to try to apply it with flexibility based on their ages, contents, levels, and so on.

1. Thank you for your comment, and you are one of the learners who got benefits of the digital learning and know exactly how they are useful. Also, you are right that is important to consider both pros and cons of the use of digital games in teaching and learning, and to try to apply it with flexibility based on their ages, contents, levels, and so on.

4. I agree with you 100%. I myself grew up with a learning disability and my reading specialist in elementary school helped me overcome my fear of reading using gaming technology. Not only did the digital education stimulate my interest in reading, it assisted me in comprehending what I was actually reading. My children love to learn digitally. Often in school the use iPad’s or computer games to learn course material. With changes in technology I feel it is a great resource to assist in the learning process as well as allowing evaluation of what is learned.

1. Right! The digital learning could be very effective for learners who have disability. Also, the kids like learning through gaming especially with the development of technology. Thank you for your participation.

5. This is a great post. I agree with you Gaming for learning is a great idea. Because I think 99.99% of kids are interested in games. But when you think about games, you think why kids or even adults interested in games ? is it the challenge? is it the visual effect? or is it because you can take as many turns you want until you succeed(this take back to “baby Gorge”, I think it is human nature)?
    In my experience, if I’m engaged in some work rather than just listening to someone, I’m more focused on what I’m doing and there is a really small room for distractions. So yes if you wanna make learning fun and interesting you have to find ways to make it engaging and challenging. I guess one such way is games, as they are engaging and challenging.

6. Instead of just letting the learners evaluate the game for engagement, I wonder if a lesson could be developed to have the learners each design their own game. It would allow them to be engaged in the material, but also force them to consider and engage in the material in a different way than they are used to. Plus the competitiveness can still exist, as students will want to design “the best” or “most fun” game. It would depend on the lesson/material, but I think it could be a useful tactic to see into what the students enjoy to engage themselves.

1. Hi Connor!

That is a great point as well, but I think if we would just focus on the learning, we should provide the designed games to students and have their feedback instead of waste the time in letting them design it especially if they are kids and do not have enough idea of using softwares, applications, and technologies. Thank you though for participation in this post.