Time

Where has the time gone? It feels like it was just yesterday when I was sitting on a bench in Zurich Airport with 29 strangers. I knew maybe 50% of my fellow PGSers names and thought it was going to be a long semester. Never having been in University Honors before I was very intimidated by the brilliant minds around me. From the very beginning of our first of many train rides, I knew I was in for an adventure of a lifetime. My peers seemed to all be so unique and have something special to add to the group. As the semester has gone on I have begun to develop a deeper relationship with many of them. Now the adventure is almost over. In less than a week I will be on a plane back to the states, and all I can think about is how fast time has passed. However, I know that I will still go back having made these connections and experiences, and I would not have chosen any other group.

Most people who have studied abroad will tell you that is a life-changing experience. If the traditional study abroad experience is an experience of a lifetime then mine must be an experience of a million lifetimes (at least). I have become part of a new family. I have dealt with the loss of a dear friend. I have racked my brain to pieces. I have debated for hours on end. I have left class with headaches. I have traveled to 7 countries. I have taken dozens of train rides. I have eaten more food, especially margarita pizza, than humanly possibly. I have climbed active volcanoes. I have wandered through the ancient ruins of Greece. I have ridden dozens of trains. I have experienced the wine culture of Europe. I have enjoyed way too many Swiss chocolate bars. I have researched the issue of human trafficking. I have had the ability to become a global leader. I have become a Presidential Global Scholar and so much more!

There are not enough words to describe this experience, but here are a few:

30 students. 8 faculty. 4+ countries. 3 1/2 months. 1 Villa.

12 thoughts on “Time

1. I remember the day we all arrived, exhausted on the train, and you came back from the snack car with a bottled water. We asked you how much it was, and when we realized it was the equivalent of $5, I think it was Craig and I who decided it was better to be thirsty than buy the water.

Funny how that was the start of the semester. That day seems like just yesterday, as is the day you got the 6 franc bottle of water in Basel.

So naturally, my next question is this: how much do you think your bottle of water will cost you in Zurich before your flight home?

2. Hahaha! I guess I can’t really put a price to water since it is necessary for my survival, but it will probably be 5 francs. Although I am hoping for less!

• Well going off of the conversation we had with Dean Chang a bottle of water for 5 franc may be cheap compared to the “actual” cost on humanity… I am not actually sure if this comment is optimistic or pessimistic.

3. I really like our tag line at the end of your blog. Hopefully next years kids live up to our reputation (good luck).

4. I honestly couldn’t have said this better myself. I, too, found myself experiencing all those feelings. We all have been through so much together. I have learned a ridiculous amount from everyone in PGS. You guys are like my second family and I know I will continue to learn from you guys.

5. There’s so much to say about this semester that there’s no way any of our blogs can do it justice. It’s so incredibly unfair and cruelly frustrating that no one else will truly understand what we have experienced this semester. I think it’s like all the pictures that I have taken, whether in Greece, Italy, Switzerland, etc. I see with my eyes what I want my camera to capture so that I may possess an artifact of my experience. I want to show my friends, family, and strangers what I saw; I want them to feel exactly as I felt. But that will never happen, I suppose. Instead, we’re left with pictures that others can only see; we’re left with stories that only others can hear; we’re left with wines that only others can taste.

• I think we’re all left with much much more, it just isn’t a tangible object that we can hand to someone else for safe keeping. We’ll just have to be the night watchmen and caretakers of it ourselves!