Diversity benefits everyone

“Diversity jolts us into cognitive action in ways that homogeneity simply does not.”

“This is how diversity works: by promoting hard work and creativity; by encouraging the consideration of alternatives even before any interpersonal interaction takes place. The pain associated with diversity can be thought of as the pain of exercise. You have to push yourself to grow your muscles. The pain, as the old saw goes, produces the gain. In just the same way, we need diversity—in teams, organizations and society as a whole—if we are to change, grow and innovate.”

I had a lot of thoughts while reading the material for this week’s blog. The readings, as always, opened my mind a little bit more and presented information to me in a way that I had never thought of before. Although I have a lot of thoughts, it’s hard to write about how it made me feel! Diversity is extremely important in all facets of life. Being around and working with individuals who are different than us is an essential part of succeeding. How can we truly see and understand the world if we don’t open ourselves to people with backgrounds, cultures, and lives different than our own?

Knowing that the courses I teach in the future will be science-focused, I imagine that I will not have too many class instances that will lead to the more difficult conversations. Maybe this is good, maybe this is bad. In addition to that, I sometimes consider myself at fault because I don’t have too much experience dealing with the difficult conversations. I need to stand up more for what I believe is right.