the future of higher education

I wish I could change a lot of things about higher education. At this time, if I could just change one thing, I would make quality higher education affordable and accessible to every person. It shouldn’t be an elitist system that is only accessible to people who can afford it. It would also be helpful if students didn’t have to go into crippling debt to obtain a quality education.

This goes for undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduates have access to a plethora of large scholarships. These scholarships exist for graduate students, but there are not as many.

In addition, I wish that there wouldn’t be so many fees involved with obtaining an education. Application fees, standardized test fees (SAT and GRE), and that isn’t even accounting for the majority of students who have to move away from home to go to school – moving fees, room and board, or apartment costs. SO MUCH MONEY INVOLVED! And it puts a strain on working families. AND that doesn’t count for books, other supplies, and a laptop, which is a necessity for students now. Graduate students also have to pay fees every semester. Yikes!!

Higher education isn’t for everyone, and that’s okay. I just wish that if someone wanted to attend college or graduate school, he or she would be able to and not have to stress and go into debt to obtain that education. There are so many humans with a ton of potential. They shouldn’t have to let that potential go to waste just because of money.