MS in Mechanical Engineering (Virginia Tech)
BE in Mechanical Engineering (Anna University, India)
RESEARCH EXPERIENCE and PROJECTS
Center for Tire Research (CenTiRe) – Virginia Tech Sept’18 – Present
- Modelling, testing and evaluation of a personalized autonomous vehicle.
Imperial College London – Final Year Undergraduate Thesis Jan’17 – June’17
Title : Multiphase Flow Analysis in Direct Evaporation Concentrated Solar Power System
- Designed an experimental setup to study a Direct Evaporation Concentrated Solar Power System using Creo 4.0.
- Performed laser-based experiments using Nd-YAG laser to study gas-liquid annular flow in the downward annular flow facility (DAFLOF)
- The goal of the laser-based experiment was to asses a novel concurrent Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF) technique in the study of gas-liquid annular flow. Also, PLIF was used to study thermal and fluorescence characteristics of dyes for image processing benefits.
- Developed image processing algorithms to process PLIF images using MATLAB R2016a and statistically analyze the data extracted from PLIF images. Results assessed the reliability of the concurrent PLIF technique as an optical diagnostic tool for future research.
Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore – Summer Research Fellowship Program June’16 – Aug’16
Title: Study of Acheson Process
- Summer Research Fellowship awarded by the Indian Academy of Sciences(IAS), Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and The National Academy of Sciences (NASc) to research on the optimization of Acheson Process.
- The project aimed to reduce production cost and material waste in silicon carbide production through optimization of operational parameters.
- Performed high temperature experiments (up to 2700oC) using a cylindrical resistance-furnace to manufacture Silicon Carbide, analyzed samples through Chemical Analyses, Scanning Electron Microscopy and X-Ray Diffraction. Used Lab View 16 for data acquisition. Samples up to 20% of the radius from the carbon core resulted in greater than 85% purity.
- Contributed to another project that aimed to study Packed Bed in Blast Furnace – modelled pipes, casing and frames using Creo3.0 for fabricating Blast Furnace Test Rig.
Internal Combustion Engine Research Cell, Coimbatore Institute of Technology – Research Assistant May’15 – May’16
- Performed analytical and simulation study using Ansys Fluent and Diesel RK to calculate droplet evaporation time in an ethanol fuelled compression ignition engine under varying cylinder pressure, compression ratio and exhaust gas recirculation percentage.
- Performed experimental investigation on a 2-stroke diesel engine for emission and performance on diesel engines.
Larsen and Toubro – Winter Internship Dec’14 – Jan’15
Title: Study of Material Handling in Foundry
- Studied materials handling time in moulding department of foundry. Both material handling and process time was measured from delivery of raw materials to shop floor until delivery of mould to the pouring department for three products: Windmill Hub, CNC Bed and Nacelle Frame.
- The gross man-hours involved in both manufacturing process and materials handling were calculated. Bottlenecks were identified and alternative approaches were suggested to reduced material handling time over 15%.
HONOURS and ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Professor P R Ramakrishnan Endowment Prize for Best Outgoing Student in the Mechanical Engineering Department. March’17
- Alumni Shield for obtaining second rank, Mechanical Engineering Department and Sri Rajalakshmi Karthikeya Annual Memorial Award, second rank in the department up to seventh semester. March’17
- Summer Research Fellowship (INR 16,000 and Travel Expenses), by the Indian Academy of Science, Bengaluru, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi and The National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad. Jun’16-Aug’16
- Vijaylakshmi Trust Scholarship (INR 25,000) for securing 97.25% in twelfth grade. July’13
- First Rank in the State of Tamil Nadu in Hindi, Secondary Board Examination.
LEADERSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Public Relations Officer of the Indian Students Association, Virginia Tech for the academic year 2018-2019.
- Coordinated with university and Engineers Without Borders (EWB), Bangalore Chapter to setup an EWB Students Chapter at Coimbatore Institute of Technology, 2017
- Editor of BRAINDRIVE – 2015, Departmental Magazine, Mechanical Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of Technology.
- Organiser and Convenor of QUEST’16, an annual college fest – Managed a budget of 300,000 INR and led a team of 6 students. Served as the vice-secretary in the organizing committee of TECHNOVATION ’15, annual departmental fest, Coimbatore Institute of Technology.
- Founding member of Entrepreneurship Club at Coimbatore Institute of Technology, 2014
- Raised funds and organised seminars and events for government school students as part of the Rotaract Club of Coimbatore Instittue of Technology.
- Organised 3 outreach programs: 2 Orphanages and one old age home to distribute clothing and food. Collected food for around 400 people during Chennai Floods of 2015.
- Vice-Captain at School (Fritchley House)
PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Harish B., Jyotirmoy Mukherjee, Priyadarshini., & R. Subramaniam., Experimental Investigation of Mechanical Properties of C70600 Surface Composite Fabricated by Friction Stir Processing, International Conference on Composite Materials and Structures, Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad, India, Dec 27 – 29, 2017.
- Jyotirmoy Mukherjee & Velliangiri. M., IEEE – Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Performance and Emission in high injection and high compression ignition CI engine, IEEE International Conference on Inventive Computing Technology(ICICT), Aug 26 – 27, 2016, Coimbatore.
- Jyotirmoy Mukherjee & Velliangiri M., Estimation of Life time of Fuel Droplet Evaporation with various In-cylinder pressures, Compression Ratios and Exhaust Gas Recirculation, International Journal of Engineering Research,2016, DOI 10.17950/ijerv5s8/808.
- Jyotirmoy Mukherjee & Velliangiri M., Estimation of Life time of Fuel Droplet Evaporation with various In-cylinder pressures, Compression Ratios and Exhaust Gas Recirculation, International Conference on Energy, Environment and Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, Feb 29 – March 2, 2016.
- GIAN course on “Turbulence Modelling for Engineering Applications”, taught by Dr. Paul Durbin from the Iowa State University, an MHRD funded course organised by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras.
- Master Diploma in Product Design and Analysis, CADD Centre, Coimbatore.
- MATLAB R2016a, Lab View 16, AUTOCAD 2014, Creo 3.0, Catia V5, ANSYS Workbench v14.5, Origin, Diesel RK, C/C++ Programming, Autodesk Inventor
- X-Ray Diffraction, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Laser Imaging using Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF), IC Engines and high temperature experiments.
- Fluency in English and Hindi, Conversational Tamil and Bengali, Basic Level in German and French.
ATTENDANCE AT TECHNICAL WORKSHOPS:
- Mid-year Meeting Lecture Series organised by the Indian Academy of Sciences at the Indian Institute of Science July’16
- “POROUS CERAMICS”-DST and SERB funded workshop at Anna University, Chennai May’16
- “Welding Technology and Non-Destructive Testing” organised by the Indian Welding Society, Coimbatore. March’16
- “ARDUBOTICS” organised at PRAVEGA 2016, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru. Jan’16
- “RC HOVERCRAFT” organised at PRAVEGA 2016, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru. Jan’16
- UGC sponsored guest lecture on ‘SMART MATERIALS’ at Coimbatore Institute of Technology. Aug’14
- “Latest Developments and Applications of Composite Materials”, CIT, Coimbatore. Aug’14
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Engineers Without Borders, Bangalore Chapter, India
- Institute of Indian Foundrymen