Kharitonov’s House Yekaterinburg, Russia

Image: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/item/prk2000000588/

The Kharitonov house is located in the Urals of Russia.  The house was built by Lev Rastorguyev in 1794, one of the wealthiest merchants in the region at the time.  Rastorguyev associated with the Old Believers of Russia, which are a group of Russian Orthodox Christians that separated from the main Russian Orthodox Church in 1666 in response to unfavorable reforms in the Church.  Anyway, Rastorguyev’s son in law, Pyotr Kharitonov, inherited the house, which is currently named after him.  In 1824, Kharitonov made additions to the palace which consisted of connecting building with covered passageways. Although, in 1837, Rastorguyev was sentenced to life in prison after being charged for the cruel treatment of his serfs.  Years later after the communist revolution, the house was rented out by the Ural Communist University starting in 1924.  Along with the house acting as these functions, it also served as a high court, prison, and a granary.  Currently, the house is mainly a tourist attraction.

The architectural design of the house is highly regarded as one of the most prominent structures in the entire region.  M.P. Malakhov, one of the most respected architects/designers of the time, is accredited for his use of Corinthian style columns and eye catching garden landscapes.

http://www.parkinn.com/hotel-ekaterinburg/location/rastorguyev-kharitonovs-house

http://expo2020.ru/en/redline/item/18/

http://www.russia-channel.com/urals/ekaterinburg/rastorguyev-kharitonov-house/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *