Blog on Blogs: Help me understand!

Soooo this is not my first time blogging for a class and I honestly haven’t had great experiences with it in the past.  I don’t mind blogging for other things like my research, or topics I find interesting.  I’ve done this several times with the Virginia Tech Sustainable Nanotechnology blog.  But there’s a big difference between an organic, well thought out, blog about something I’m passionate about, and being forced to write about a certain topic by a strict deadline for a class.

The audiences are also much different between a blog I post for class, and one I post independently or research related.  Someone reading my post on microbes in the environment probably has some baseline interest in that topic, however that isn’t necessarily the case for blogging for a class.  Whenever I blog for a class (especially when comments are mandatory) I always feel like everyone is just skimming quickly and trying to move on to complete the assignment, and the only people I’m going to reach are my classmates who think the title is interesting enough to merit a comment.

For the record, I understand that blogs are important and great, especially in a world where we are trying to get our message out about how cool and important our research is.  As emphasized by the readings for this week, blogging gives a voice to those who might not have a platform for their talent, and this is a great thing.  However the thought that blogging is going to radically change how we teach.. I just don’t believe.  I don’t think there is a difference between blogging and any other writing assignment, and the forced comment approach is no different than any other message board and in my opinion is less productive than a class room discussion that could accomplish the same thing in a more personal way.

I am ready and willing to be talked away from my blogging opinion above and I hope that someone in this class can change my mind forever about blogging for classes.  Then maybe I’ll be like Barney Stinson.. and my blog will be a lot better.

Category(s): GEDI

4 Responses to Blog on Blogs: Help me understand!