January’s pie-of-the-month: Shaker Lemon Pie

For the first installment of the pie-of-the-month club, I sought a recipe that would symbolize the new year. The winner is this Shaker Lemon Pie. I found the first recipe in a 2011 New Year’s post from Megan Gordon’s: A Sweet Spoonful site. I consulted several other recipes, but largely stuck with Megan’s version. Here, I describe the way I made the pie, with the shopping restrictions that come from living in rural Southwestern Virginia,  but please consult Megan’s site for her original recipe. This pie seemed appropriate for the new year for several reasons: 1) I’d never made it before. 2) There is little fresh local fruit to be had here in January, and I will strive to be seasonal most months. 3) The overnight ‘incubation’ of the  lemons and sugar meant starting the recipe in 2011 and finishing it in 2012, which just seemed poetic to me.

Ingredients:

1 recipe “better-than-perfect” pie crust (note: this could be made on the first day and chilled overnight or made on the second day and chilled for an hour or so).

2 lemons (original recipe called for Meyer lemons but these were not to be had in my area)

2 c. sugar

4 eggs

1/2 stick (1/4 c.) butter, melted

3 T. flour

Directions:

zesting lemons: my strips were a bit long so I chopped them a little afterwards

1. The day before you want to eat the pie, remove all the zest from both lemons using a grater or zester. Slice the lemons super-thin, remove the seeds and place them in a bowl with the zest. Cover with the sugar and let them sit at room temperature overnight. Give the mixture a little stir every now and then.

these were some of the prettier slices

just look at these eggs! Our neighbors have a farm and leave eggs for sale in a refrigerator on their porch. Makes up for the lack of Meyer lemons in SW Va.

2. The next day, whisk the eggs (I used my Kitchen Aid stationary mixer but you could do this by hand) until a bit frothy.

what a happy color

3. Add the melted butter and mix.

4. Add the flour by sprinkling in a little at a time to avoid clumps.

5. Stir in the lemon mix.

my favorite 'pi' pan. A gift from my loving husband and lover of pies.

6. Roll out the bottom crust and place in the pie pan. Add the filling. Cover with the top crust.

The filling was almost too beautiful to cover. I may try this someday as a single-crust pie, like a custard.

7. Seal edges, make some slits in the top, brush with a little milk, sprinkle with sugar, and cover edges with pie shields or aluminum foil.

Ta-da! Waiting until after dinner to slice and eat.

8. Bake at 425°F for 25 min (or maybe a little less). Remove pie shield and reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake for another 20 minutes or so. Mine was done at this point but I think my oven is running a little hot.

9. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note on the Shakers: I did a project on the Shakers in middle school and visited their village in New Hampshire. I believe there were two elderly women Shakers living there at the time. I’ve always admired the Shaker view on simplicity, and this pie is a lovely example. The lemons must have been an exotic treat for them to be sure, but otherwise, the pie is made from very few ingredients, most of which should be on hand. Unfortunately, the Shakers professed celibacy for all of their members. The only way to grow the population was to recruit converts who had been born to non-Shaker parents. Not surprisingly, the religion died out, but much of the Shaker culture, in music, furniture, and cooking, has been preserved. “Tis a gift to be simple; tis a gift to be free.”

I paired this pie with a 28 mile bike ride through my neck of the New River Valley.

after dinner:

an interesting pie, to say the least.

I think he likes it.

This entry was posted in Pies-of-the-Month and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to January’s pie-of-the-month: Shaker Lemon Pie

1. Jennifer says:

Its beautiful! Thanks for sharing and Im thinking of taking pie of the month on as a challenge along with you……..
    I remember visiting Shaker Village as a kid- 2 women were left at that time. It was probably a school field trip -I grew up in Litchield, NH.