“…as powerful as the profit motive”

As I began to read “immigrant” for class, I immediately was overwhelmed with questions. Not even a page in, I read, “The man who cracks the Kimon situation is the one who will have it big.” Thoughts started to rush through my mind. What is the Kimon situation? It can be cracked? Why hasn’t someone cracked it already? Why would they make it big? I continued reading, sparked by my own curiosity towards this unique situation. It seemed that these people speaking (whoever they were) were on a journey to Kimon. I guess it’s a place? The way these people were talking about it, it seemed impossible to reach. I liked the fact that the story told me what Kimon was shortly after I had all of these questions. Apparently it is a never-never land where few individuals could reach. Those who could go were people of a high IQ, of incredible intelligence.

I continued to read and was surprised at the explanation of Kimon. I was intrigued that Kimon booted those people who were not up to their standards out of their society. Having a minimum IQ, a great scholastic achievement record, being 99% or better of Earth’s population, dealing with years of study, were some of the requirements to reach Kimon. I started to wonder – why would anyone want to go there? I have high aspirations of myself, but would I have done those things to reach Kimon?

Yep I sure would have. This other world seemed to consider education extremely important – something I value as well. “For here was a planet with a culture far in advance of Earth, a people who had schooled themselves or had naturally developed parapsychic powers.” That sentence stuck out to me because I think it an interesting idea for people to school themselves. I find it interesting in this story however that the writer kept mentioning profits, wages, gold, and diamonds, luxuries that are involved with the Kimon lifestyle. The curiousness of money continues when Selden Bishop is introduced. I found that he concentrated on the money he had in his pocket. He couldn’t get his mind off of it, although  “he couldn’t bring himself to regret the money he had spent to make a good impression.” Why are these people so concerned about money?! When Selden’s story starts to unfold, I found the fact that “…for no planet, no culture can exist in complete self-sufficiency.” Does this statement have something to do with monetary sufficiency as well? The idea of money is brought up throughout and continues to be once Bishop is on the planet. Monty tells him that if he needs a loan that they are all friends because they’ve got to be. Why do they all have to be friends? Is it because they know that, like Maxine says, Kimon will become “passé” to those on earth?

Why will she not explain how earth will get board with their planet? Is it because Kimonian people are so concerned about cultural development? Is it because they don’t use money? Because they don’t care about wealth? Do you think our society today could be like the Kimon culture? Would it even be possible for humans to not have assurance of wealth? Like Morely Reed mentioned to Bishop, would technological information revlolutionize our entire economic pattern? Did it? Has it? Will it?!

1 Comment

One Response to “…as powerful as the profit motive”

1. Erin

Don’t you find it odd and kind of contradictory that Kimon only allowed people of high IQ’s to come to their planet? It seems like this story (like many other readings we’ve had) is decrying the empty assignment of letters/numbers to intelligence. I would think that the Kimons would have another way of assigning value to worthy humans, a way that does not play along with Earth’s own education system, a way that better prepares humans for their experience on Kimon. Along with this idea, I also found it odd that the Kimons had the ability to construct materialistic things on their planet to please the vanity-driven humans like Bishop’s beautiful hotel room. If their intentions were to culturally develop the humans, then you could think they would not continue to foster their previous values…?! Just a couple thoughts I had on my mind!