Educational Philosophy

As someone from an underprivileged background (first-generation college student; former refugee-student; low-income family), I determinedly value education. I have always known that education was the way out of my situation. These beliefs are fostered and amplified by the words of Nelson Mandela: “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world” and Kofi Anan:  “Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.”

I draw my educational philosophy upon my beliefs and experience. My educational philosophy is multi-directional and falls within the framework of the integrated model of self-authorship espoused by Baxter Magolda. This involves the intertwining relationship between the epistemological, intrapersonal, and interpersonal developmental dimensions of learning. That is, one’s meaning making is a complementary process that involves the internal self and the interaction with external social forces. Thus far, I have worked extensively in administrative capacities in higher education for a period over 10 years. For me, pursing a doctorate in higher education is not just a process of acquiring an academic achievement. My focus and purpose is to utilize my time during my doctorate to gain the appropriate experience in research and teaching which are lacking in my educational experience. This is what I intend to be the niche of my time at Virginia Tech. I believe that interlocking research and teaching with my administrative experience coupled with the academic achievement (PhD) will fulfill my academic personality.