The Pumpkin Patch #experientiallearning

The Pumpkin Patch

On Saturday October 15, 2016 my friends and I loaded up in multiple vehicles and went to Sinkland Farms. It was a beautiful day outside despite it being extremely windy. We were all very excited to get off campus and do something that we typically wouldn’t do.

When we arrived there was a long line of cars backed up in the road, it was evident a lot of other people had the same idea as us. We got to the front of the line and a great big man with a beard directed us into the front field off to the right. From there we found our parking spot and unloaded out of the vehicle.

As we approached the entrance to the pumpkin patch my nose was delighted. The sweet scent of apple butter and kettle corn being made was enough to make my taste buds tingle. At the gate where you pay to get in the people were extremely nice and welcoming. They then directed us to the hayride that takes you to the actual patch of pumpkins.

I felt very comfortable with all of the people running the place, it was very clear they were from the region. While we were waiting for others to board the hayride I struck up a conversation with the man driving the tractor and ended up giving him a dip of snuff. We talked about the upcoming rifle season and how the deer haven’t been moving much recently. I was having a great time, the day was working out wonderfully so far and I felt like I was doing something truly Appalachian.

Once we arrived at the patch some of my friends picked out pumpkins, some of the girls with us took an outrageously long time. We let one of my friends dogs off her leash and she ran around with her tail tucked in circles just having a ball. Other dogs began to join in and they began running around and playing it was very fun to watch. I began to talk with one of the other dog owners and my friends got annoyed with me because they wanted to head back to the main part but I can talk dogs for hours on end.

After returning back to the main park of the farm we went and checked out the animals. They were all farm related, it is hard to believe that way back when those big pull horses were the only thing people of this region had to farm with. I have been around and worked on as many farms as the next guy and tractors are a really big part of things. It is just a testament to how hard people worked back in the day to provide for their families.

Before we left I got some homemade apple butter which is very hard to come by these days. I can’t think of anywhere else I would be able to get apple butter that good. As soon as I got home I began to spread it out on my mom’s homemade bread and ended up eating the whole jar.

The experience was truly great. I loved hanging out with my friends and showing them some of the things that Appalachian people truly enjoy.

me-and-landon

Above is me and my friend Landon at the pumpkin patch.