Appalachian Music to Me

For as long as I can remember my dad would blast old school blue grass music as soon as he got home from work. So at an early age I had a real appreciation for good Appalachian music and all the different instruments mashing together to make something beautiful. I have probably listened to just as much blue grass in my lifetime as I have any other genre of music.

In Bill Malones chapter in High Mountains Rising he says, “No style is more traditional or more rooted in mountain culture.” I couldn’t agree with that statement more, at all my family reunions on Bent Mountain in Virginia someone is always playing blue grass themselves or its being played over the radio near the apple butter kettle. People from Appalachia still relate to blue grass music the same way they did when it first became popular. A lot of the stories in blue grass songs are very relatable for someone who grew up in the area. For example the song Rabbit in a Log is very relatable to my family because we pretty much live for hunting rabbits.

The song that I listen to frequently that I think is a great representation of Appalachian music is Mountain Dew by the Stanley brothers. It has great instrumentals, especially the banjo. In the song it talks all about moonshine and you cant really get more Appalachian then that. Here take a listen by clicking this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8p5pVsj9U

Some old people think that Appalachian music is best off with no singing at all, those people think the instruments speak for themselves and shouldn’t be heard behind voices. I disagree, I love to hear a singers voice jive with the rhythm of a banjo or mandolin. Why do you think old people like bluegrass music without words? Does it have to with their age or is it something more then that?