Experiential Learning 2

Jason Blaha

Blacksburg Farmers Market, Oct. 64th at 2:30 pm

I had always heard that Blacksburg had a fresh local farmers market but had no clue where it was, and did not really look into it all that much. But this was a good excuse to go find out more about it. I tried going earlier in the month, but unfortunately it is only opened twice a week, so my schedule did not always work out with the timing. But this one particular Wednesday, I got done with classes and all my work early, so I was able to go out and visit the market. And I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

I had never been to a farmers market before, so this was new to me. I convinced one of my friends to come with me, because I did not want to go alone. But after getting there, I did not feel awkward, or like an outcast at all. Everyone was so friendly! The atmosphere was so fun and festive. It was nice to walk around and see all the colorful fresh produce, and talk with some of the local growers.

I did not get to buy anything, because I did not bring my wallet, but next semester I would like to go back and buy fresh produce to bring home and cook with.

One thing that farmers markets push hard is the “buy local campaign” and I never really thought about why people should do that. But after visiting the Blacksburg Farmers Market I understand the “buy local” initiative more. And I plan on buying more local produce in the future.

Next time I visit the farmers market, I don’t think I will need to bring a friend, because I will feel more comfortable going again. I will also definitely bring money so I can buy yummy fresh fruits and vegetables.

Overall, I can not wait to visit again next semester. I would also highly recommend anyone living around the Blacksburg area to go and visit this Farmers Market, because it is definitely worth the experience.