A Good Old Fashion Misrepresentation

In Charles Alan Watkins’ writing “Merchandising the Mountaineer” he writes about how anything can be misrepresented. He specifically talks about a  publishing company who sold books on the Appalachia. Even though the book began as an accurate depiction of the region, the company ran into financial issues and faced the fact that if they did not sell more books, they would run out of business. Their solution to this problem were pictures. The company realized that the northern readers of their book wanted to see the Appalachia depicted as an isolated mountain land. The book depicted in its’ pictures an isolated region with few inhabitants and this gave the region a reputation that was not completely truthful.

I am from Yorktown Virginia, which is famously known for the final battle of the revolutionary war where the British surrendered to the Colonists. That is the most famous, and probably will always be the most famous thing to ever happen in Yorktown. The only reason anyone actually visits my town is to see family, or the historic battle fields or historic buildings. I don’t blame them, the historic part of Yorktown is beautiful:yorktown_battlefield_colonial_national_historic_park_virginiadowntown-historic-yokrotown historic-yorktown old-yorktown-house  ytown-boat

ca. 1996, Colonial National Historic Park, Virginia, USA --- Cannon on Yorktown Battlefield --- Image by © Richard T. Nowitz/CORBIS

ca. 1996, Colonial National Historic Park, Virginia, USA — Cannon on Yorktown Battlefield — Image by © Richard T. Nowitz/CORBIS

If you just Googled: “Yorktown Virginia” the only pictures that would come up is of the Historic side of Yorktown. I love that part of my hometown, and I am proud of it, but realistically, that is only a fractional part of Yorktown. these images make Yorktown look old, and most would imagine that everything in Yorktown is old. But it is quite the opposite. Yorktown is mostly an upper middle class white town, that is very privileged and is slowly but surely building all sorts of new buildings and adding lots of new technology. I am proud of what images would pop up on google if you looked up my hometown, but it does not accurately represent most of Yorktown.