Too much connectivity?

I found the video we watched in class about making students more knowledge-able to be quite interesting.  After looking into Hypothes.is, I think it is another nice idea to get more people on the web sharing their ideas and collaborating.  However, with each of these concepts, I find myself wondering how much of people sharing their ideas might be too much.  A lot of people have great ideas worth sharing, yet at the same time, there are a lot of people who tend to ramble about topics that may not be helpful in humanity progressing forward.  Do we really need to know what someone had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner any given day?  What guidelines could be in place for people to contribute and find information that is pertinent and helpful to their professions and lives?  I don’t have a lot of answers to this question, but I would imagine that as this class progresses that I will learn more about this topic.  I figure if this is a question that I am asking myself, other people are likely curious about it as well.  After taking Preparing Future Professoriate, my eyes were opened more to the amazing impact that technology has had on education.  I look forward to becoming more knowledge-able about ways that we as educators can best use technology for learning and collaboration.

5 thoughts on “Too much connectivity?”

1. Good question. It makes me think of the open-source model, where folks can contribute to an idea/project/etc, but there is typically a moderator who is responsible for keeping everyone on topic, fact checks, and more. Maybe that is one of the many answers to your question.

2. I’ll go out on a limb and say, “No, I dont need (or want) to know what you had for breakfast!” But I do want to know what you think about the course material — what resonates with you, what helps you see things in a new light, how you can imagine incorporating some of these approaches into your teaching praxis. And the blog posts are really helpful in that regard. And since the rest of the class reads them as well, you get several sets of eyes on your work, and thus more opportunity for dialogue – which is where the learning happens. At least that’s the plan!

3. I definitely agree that there are lot of information out there. You have brought up a very valid point about how not everything shared is “helpful.” Therefore, I think that it is critical that we have to train ourselves to be able to filter out the “noise” in the data that is available. We as a society have to be able to think critically about all the information that are relayed to us. I would much rather have too much information, than not enough. I personally find it easier to get rid of things than to generate it.

4. I had a bowl of Fruit Loops for breakfast….ah wait I’m guessing you might not find that important. When I look at it, I personally feel that the line is drawn where you feel something is common knowledge/where there not much room for debate. If I’m doing something and I feel it is common knowledge then I would not be as likely to blog about it. But if I’m working on something that I’m struggling to understand or working through something in a way that I feel has not be covered before I would be likely to blog about it. One other thing to take into consideration is your audience. I think looking at who your audience is will help guide you.

5. Yes, I agree that we expose to too much information from the web, and really need good judgement to select their ideas. So my question is how to train ourselves to be able to filter out the “noise”. Because in most classes, the instructor selects the learning materials for us and we don’t have a choice. Therefore, training students’ skills of filtering out “noise” will be an very important task for educators.