Intro Post for GRAD5214

Hello! My name is Japsimran Singh. My friends prefer to call me Jap since it is easier to say and also not a tongue twister. I go by he/his/him pronouns. I am a third-year Ph.D. in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. My program area is Structural Engineering and Materials. I work as a graduate research assistant in a large structural engineering testing laboratory here at Virginia Tech. My Ph.D. project is based on the loosening of anchor nuts on highway ancillary structures (traffic signals, luminaires, etc.) (see picture below). In the past few decades, some of these structures have fallen down onto the Interstates during high-speed wind events. The project revolves around finding the different causes of this loosening and suggesting remedial measures to prevent this loosening of nuts. I was also the president of a graduate student organization (Structural Engineering Institute at Virginia Tech) for 2 years.

I am originally from India and came to the U.S. for my masters in 2015.  I love cooking, playing racquet sports, hanging out with friends and family, visiting new places. I love trying out new food items. I am a big FOODIE. I also love playing badminton. My father introduced me to the sport and I have been playing for the last 15 years. One interesting fact about me is that I have changed 8 schools as part of my schooling. My father was in the army and he would get posted every year or so. It definitely made me meet a lot of new people from different backgrounds and cultures back in India. I am taking this course because I hope to understand and learn about the issues of diversity and inclusion. Everybody is biased in some way and I am excited to know my biases and work on them. I hope to learn from other people in the class and grow as a human being.

4 Replies to “Intro Post for GRAD5214”

1. Thanks for sharing more about yourself Jap. I’ve seen the poles, structures, and bolts, but hadn’t really considered how they are secured. I just trust and assume the engineers, manufacturers, and construction team have secured each pole and know what impacts it. I look forward to learning more about you.

2. Jap, your research project is so awesome. I love hearing about areas of interest that are different from mine, because I never would have even thought to consider something like that. When I see a traffic signal, its just a plain old traffic signal. But to someone like you, I’m sure it means a whole lot more and I absolutely love the difference in viewpoints! Super cool. Can’t wait to get to know more about you.

3. Hi Jap, Let me just say that I love you full first name, Japsimran. Jap is also great. I enjoyed learning about your research and program. Very interesting and sounds like it will beneficial for us all to have safe and secure road and lighting structures. I am a FOODIE myself. I am from the Caribbean and I very must enjoy West Indian roti, thanks to my East Indian ancestors. I look forward to learning more about your experiences. I agree, to overcome our biases, we definitely need to be aware of them and then positively and intentionally act to change them. Happy learning!

4. Hi Jap! Thank you for sharing your research and allowing us a chance to get to know you a little better. You said that you are a foodie, what are some of your all time favorite dishes to make or eat? I look forward to learning from one another as the class progresses this semester.