Hi friends of PFP13F!  This article made me think of all of you especially since salary has been one of the elements we have been discussing as different across different cultures and institutions…

http://chronicle.com/blognetwork/tenuredradical/2013/10/at-st-marys-college-a-salary-system-to-match-its-mission/

What do you think about the ratio’s suggested in the article?  How would you react as a student or a faculty member or administrator?  I think I really like how they are trying to align their proposal with their mission… certainly that is a complex messy endeavor… but I like the attempt to generate dialogue about that.  I feel like authenticity – that our actions align with our espoused values – is something that is often lost these days.   In particular, this paragraph has me thinking…

“In addition, we would not only be living our core values of community and social responsibility, but emphasizing the commitment to accessibility contained in our public charter. Increasing wages for the lowest paid employees and capping one of the drivers of increased college costs both align with recent legislative pushes. Although tuition increases have been driven by other forces as well (e.g. health care, energy), executive compensation represents an area we can, and should, control.

While capping executive pay might make the recruitment and retention of top administrators more difficult, we believe that, like the dedicated faculty who are drawn to the mission of a public liberal arts college, there are also many talented executives who would be attracted to a school committed to its values and with a salary plan consonant with its mission.”

Is VT’s compensation aligned with our public land grant roots?  In what ways yes and in what ways no?…

See you tonight! :)