Using Information Technology services

Getting started

Understand your responsibilities for acceptable use.

Acceptable use of information technology is ethical, reflects academic honesty, and shows restraint in the consumption of shared resources. It demonstrates respect for intellectual property, ownership of data, system security mechanisms, and individuals’ rights to privacy and to freedom from intimidation and harassment.

Be sure your computer has appropriate security settings. See

If you have an assigned university telephone , use the “Quick Start” guide.

Stay safe:

  • Subscribe to VT Alerts (, Virginia Tech’s emergency notification system;
  • Since the majority of office telephones will not work during network or power outages, locate the phones nearest your work station that operate independently of building electricity. Ask 4help if you have trouble finding this information in your department. (

Learn more about assistive technologies—visit or call 540/231-3461.

More information

Find more information on Information Technology services at

Are you having trouble? From the 4Help Self-Service Dashboard (, check “IT Status” to be sure all systems are operating normally, search “Find an answer,” or “Ask a question.”

For information technology professionals

Network with peers

Join Techsupport, a group mailing list for discussions and announcements for information technology.

Visit the Sys-Admin Google Site.

Manage security

Security settings can be managed for Windows environments from the VT Active Directory. University Services Domain is administered through Information Technology. It is an end-user driven domain oriented toward desktop computers.

Central Services is a child domain of the VT Active Directory, also managed by Information Technology. Central Services provides departments with a stable, secure domain in which accounts for user workstations may be created. Individuals who have workstations in Central Services will log onto the Hokies domain. Contact for more information about having your department participate in Central Services.

Global Qualified Web Server certificates are available for use by departments that need to secure Web-based services requiring SSL encryption. Instructions to request a certificate are available at


Leave a Reply