Modern Visual Aids

Today with my class I showed a video, and I got a better response than ever before.  …Yes, I am new to the teaching gig, but I have tried everything I can think of to get good involvement.  I have done well, but nothing has come close to what I got after showing a 58 second clip!

This got me thinking about visual aids.  In grade school, I was always more interested when  the teacher had a picture or drew on the board.  The visual aid that we brought in for the science fair has changed.  I know I am behind the times, but I am learning to change too.

I will now attempt to stick a video into this post…

Some Study That I Used to Know

…I am fairly sure that you cannot see that, and I am not sure how to fix it, but I will keep learning.  Here is a copy of the url for my “visual aid:” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxkHM4DUDKM&NR=1&feature=endscreen

The video… if you saw it… shows a student forgetting things that his teacher has taught him.  I made me think about the fact that what we are teaching will be old in four years.  We have to teach people to teach themselves.  Memory now refers more to RAM than what is used for the Spelling Bee!  I want my students (unlike the one in the video) to know why I taught them what I taught them, and I do not want them to forget every word I say (like in the video).

3 thoughts on “Modern Visual Aids

1. What I actually remember from high school is quite depressing. There is some useful stuff, but the things that actually stick out are more of the social interactions I had rather than the information.

But if I stop to think about it, do I need to remember the circumstances under which Louis XVI was decapitated or what the innards of a rat look like? Maybe it was those social interactions that were actually more important. So I guess we have to ask ourselves is it the information that is important? I think most of us would agree that it’d be OK if they did, in fact, forget every word you said but held onto the more intangible concepts.

I guess the next logical step is to ask, if it’s the info that we could do without, what is the best way to test kids on their responsiveness and understand of the concepts. I would assert that it is not to quiz them on the information.

2. This is a good start. I wish I can use the projector in the classroom, but we are still using blackboard filled up with words. Kind of said. I also noticed that even with plain words, a table or chart would be more helpful. The students tend to do some comparison subconsciously and pay more attention to details with tables or charts.