Anti-teaching and the flipped classroom

Reading the article “Anti-teaching: confronting the crisis of significance” by Michael Wesch, some points caught my attention. First the author suggest (as many researchers do) that the traditional lecture is inefficient as a learning environment. Learning occurs most of the time in the absence of the teacher. If I think about the things that I learnt I would agree with that. Learning is an independent process that occur at very different points for every person. Therefore, the classroom can’t be¬†a place where information is delivered rather a space of discussion where everyone can generate the tools required to learn.

One interesting model that I have been following is the flipped classroom. Several instructors are transforming the entire teaching process from the traditional¬†view (i.e. attending lecture and doing homework afterwards) to the opposite, obtaining the information from lecture through videos or readings before the class and dedicate class time to do the “homework.” There is not enough research that supports that this method is more efficient but I do think that it can be an interesting experience for both the student and the instructor.

Relating back to Wesch’s article he explains that learning can be enhanced by asking deep questions. Just the process of asking questions can help students understand different views of the information they are discussing and that will help them develop the learning outcomes they are suppose to develop.

I think it would be interesting to implement a flipped classroom where students have access to all the information and come to the classroom and use that time and space just to start debating and generating thought provoking questions about the topics they are learning even if no one have the answers.

Thoughts?

This entry was posted in gedivtf14 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Anti-teaching and the flipped classroom

1. Shelli Fowler says:

Homero — I, too, think we should do more exploring of wicked, messy problems and BIG questions that don’t have clear answers in our classrooms. I agree with you that the students should ‘drive’ the conversation as well. I look forward to hearing about your implementation of these pedagogical strategies in the near or distant future.