Thinking outside the box

Question:

Connect 9 dots with four lines, without lifting your pencil from the paper.

These are the answers for this 9-dot puzzle. To solve the puzzle, we should step outside the normal or expected pattern of responses. In my view, there can be more answers by adjusting line style, plus line weight.

“Yea, Nay or A Third Way?”

I believe that it truly is one of most controversial questions I ever had. My answer is that everything can be the answer for the question: “Yea, Nay or A Third Way?”, the point of my answer is having “openness to change” and “an atmosphere of freedom” in any class(room).

"We can also ask students to use their devices in ways that help them and the rest of the class, looking up a confusing term, polling their friends on Facebook about a topic we're discussing or taking collaborative notes in an open document."

"We can ask students to close their laptops at particular moments, recognizing that it is useful to learn different things, at different times, in different ways."

I understand both approaches, the core is finding a way to balance the use of those new tools in order to maximize educational efficiency. There is no right answer, there could be various answers based on the type of subjects, the field of study, and the level of study. The point is either not allows them to use their laptops in class or not, rather we should focus on the question that Douglas Thomas posed: In the twenty-first century, “how do we cultivate the imagination?”

3 Replies to “Thinking outside the box”

1. I really enjoyed your post and I really liked the question that you asked at the beginning! It was a really great illustration! I agree with you that we should find balance when thinking about how to incorporate tools such as technology in classrooms and it is important to think about how we cultivate imagination. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on how we cultivate imagination and how technology might be used to cultivate imagination. How might we as educators expand our view and look at things from a new perspective?

2. Admittedly, I spent a few minutes trying to connect the dots. I wouldn’t have thought to “think outside the box” if I hadn’t read the title of your blog!
    I also liked the proposed “third way” of laptop policies that allows them at mostly, but asking students to shut them at times when they most definitely would not be needed. This really is thinking outside of the box on the electronics issue. This way, you don’t seem authoritarian by not allowing them, but you also recognize that during some learning situations, having these things would be serve as nothing but a distraction.

3. I agree — there is no right (or wrong) answer here. And what is right for one teacher or one student may not be right for another. It is very challenging, and there seems to be a very fine line between what can be productive vs. what is distracting!