Pedagogy

The meaning of pedagogy for me is constantly changing as time goes on, particularly due to changing my cultural aspect and the rapid development of technology.

Pedagogy means교육학[敎育學] in Korean; 교육[敎育] can be interpreted into two meanings: education or training. I believe the education we are referring to in higher education is education rather than training. 학[學] is the word which represents a field of study.

In the Korean dictionary, 교육(education) is aiming to build one’s personality by teaching knowledge or skills. In the process of education, the important role is building one’s character/personality, which differentiates education and just training. For instance, educators play the important role not only in helping one achieve their academic goals, but also in helping the formation of one’s character. In Korean society, there is an old saying that teacher is considered as a parent. As Korea is part of the Confucian culture, the idea of Confucian 군사부일체 [君師父一體] could be a great indicator of status. It means that the king, teacher, and father should be treated the same.” Such strong responsibilities have framed my approach in understanding of pedagogy, and now it’s being developed in global society by interacting with inspiring colleagues from different backgrounds and countries.

One Reply to “Pedagogy”

1. Thank you for your post Hana, it is really interesting to know about the differences in education and training from the Korean cultural point of view. In India too an educator is held in high regard. There is a story that you may appreciate – a student is asked that if God and their teacher were both standing in front of them who would the person acknowledge with respect (by touching their feet) first. The student answers – I would touch my teachers feet first. When asked why he stated that it was because the teacher taught him who God was and what was His importance. I’ve always found that story really cool. However, the world is ever changing and incorporating new ideas and strategies into long held beliefs and practices can be both a struggle and also an exciting process. Let’s see where we end up.