At the beginning of the semester, I was given an iPad to use for my Writing and Digital Media Class. I was actually excited about it because I have never had an iPad, so I figured I would use it every once and a while to play around on or do some of my work on it. However, this has not been the case. I literally have not used it except for maybe two times when we were required to take it to class.
These iPads were issued to us as part of an experiment to see how it might be beneficial to students to have another form of technology to use, but I found that I didn’t see much point to pulling out an additional form of technology when I always have my laptop and my smart phone available to work with. I also like being able to type on a keyboard, so the concept of the iPad was not my favorite.
I don’t fully understand the point of using an iPad, so I thought I would research reasoning for people using them. Here’s what I have come up with:
1. People use them to play games that you need to use the screen for
2. It is an alternative to an eReader
3. It makes it convenient to look up recipes to use while cooking
4. You can use it to watch movies (however this is easier if you have a prop to hold it up)
5. It is easy to browse the web on them
6. You can use apps that you also use on your smart phone
So, considering all of these reasons, do you think it is worth it to have an iPad when you already have a laptop and a smart phone?