The Trouble With Choosing Your Major

How are you supposed to go into college knowing exactly what you want to major in? I don’t really understand how anyone can be prepared to decide what to do with the rest of their life when they are applying to college. People tell you, “Don’t worry, you have time; you can figure it out later!” But then it turns into “later,” and some of us realize we are on the wrong path, but there is nothing we can do about it.

I am one of those people. I decided to apply to the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences as a High School student, yet I didn’t really know what I wanted to do yet. I thought being a Business Major would be impossible for me, so I assumed that I should do something similar, but easier. So here I am, a Public Relations major. And people always tell me that my major is similar to marketing, so I should be able to find a job pretty easily. The only problem is, employers want to hire people who majored in Business! It’s that simple. And I see it every day as more and more of my friends who majored in any specialty under Business get job offers left and right. Obviously, now I know that I picked the wrong major. And it is too late to switch.

You might wonder why I wouldn’t be able to switch my major at this point, and the answer lies in the fact that I didn’t take the correct math classes my freshman year; so, if I wanted to take any Business classes, I would have to take two math classes before I could even begin to take business classes (which progress in order after you complete required classes each semester). That might land me a graduation date in 2017, when my current expected graduation is in 2015! And I am pretty sure I don’t have the time or money to spend going through all of that.

So what is the point of all my ramblings? Maybe that high school students should put a good amount of thought into their future before applying to college and selecting their major. I just wish there was some way for people to know what they should be doing with their lives much earlier than their junior year in college. Because sometimes, you look back on what could have been and realize that it is just too late.