Osteopathic Medicine Alumnus Interview, Part 2

Bless Jung is a 2018 graduate of Virginia Tech, and is currently a first year student at Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Lynchburg, VA. This is the second part of his interview.

What was your favorite undergraduate class outside of the medical school prerequisite classes?

My favorite class was Physical Chemistry taught by Dr. Daniel Crawford.

Is there any advice or feedback that you received regarding personal statements that you would like to share?

Understand that there are thousands of others trying to share their story. Make sure you share something that makes you one of a kind.

How many schools did you apply to and what criteria or resources did you use to select these schools?

I applied to two schools to test the waters and was planning on applying to 12 schools the following year. However, I ended up being accepted to one of the two schools.

What made the medical school you chose the right fit for you?

I grew up in Forest, VA, which is right outside of Lynchburg

Did anyone encourage or discourage you from applying to medical school?

No.

Did you have to change any of your study habits when you entered medical school?

Yes. Again, I had to completely relearn my study habits.

What memory stands out the most from your first few weeks of medical school?

The first few weeks were a biochemistry review. As a biochemistry graduate, I was able to help others in my class learn.

What advice do you have for applicants considering a career in medicine?

If you want something bad enough, you will be willing to do whatever it takes to get there (with conscience). Get out of your comfort zone and grow in places that you usually avoid.

What is your top tip for applicants preparing to take the MCAT exam?

Do practice questions early on and review the questions you get right and wrong!

What kind of financial aid did you need to pay for medical school?

I am an Army Health Professions Scholarship Program scholarship recipient, so the Army pays for my medical education along with a monthly stipend, and I am committed to serve for a minimum of 4 years. The Army provides state of the art residencies after medical school and awesome experiences as a physician that cannot be found anywhere else.

Did you have any fears going into medical school?

No

What helps you manage your stress and stay motivated?

My faith. Having my identity in Christ, I am able to really take the pressure away from the burdens of medical school and rely on God.

If you had the opportunity to talk to a potential medical student, what would you tell them off the top of your head?

You have an amazing opportunity to change the lives of so many people. Your decisions and actions will directly reflect in your patients’ lives!

This entry was posted in Alumni Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.