Intro Blog Post

Hi everyone, my name is Hannah Decker. I use the pronouns she/her. I am a first-year master’s student in the animal and poultry science department. I am originally from Boise, Idaho and completed my undergrad degree in Montana at a tiny, private liberal arts college. I received a B.A. in Anthrozoology. Anthrozoology is the study of human-animal interactions and relationships, so essentially it is the study of the human-animal bond. The reason I am at Virginia Tech is to start a citizen science program in Blacksburg and the surrounding areas. I will be teaching the community how to train their dogs to, hopefully, be conservation scent detection canines. Before a few weeks ago, I had never been to Virginia, but I look forward to exploring Blacksburg and this part of the country. During my free time, I train my service dog in training and enjoy walking around town. I look forward to getting to know everyone in the class and exploring the different avenues of diversity with you all.

The picture below is of me and a dog I trained in undergrad. She is now the first known archaeological scent detection canine.

6 Replies to “Intro Blog Post”

1. Its great that you decided to study at VT to start a citizen science program beside studying at a high quality school. I had a different perspective while looking for a school to continue my education.

2. I also went to a small liberal arts school for undergrad! Virginia Tech was a big change : ) Hope you’ve been enjoying exploring Blacksburg so far!

1. Hi Sara, it’s a long story and hard to explain over text. I would love to talk to you about it in person sometime if you are interested!

3. Hannah, I think the program you are trying to start will be amazing for the community here in Blacksburg and I hope everything goes well!

4. Hi Hannah! I didn’t realize that you studied anthrozoology in undergrad. The human-animal bond is fascinating to me. Our lab works in welfare, and we are thinking about doing a trial to study human-animal interaction at the production level. Recently, studies have shown that the human-animal interaction is likely more important to an animals welfare than merely the environment. I would love to talk to you about this more if you have the time. Thanks!