so young and full of running.
RSS icon Email icon
  • Synonyms: Adoptive Citizen, Alien, Colonist, Documented Alien, Foreigner, Incomer, Migrant, Naturalized Citizen, Newcomer, Outsider, Pioneer, Settler, or Undocumented Alien.

Posted on April 2nd, 2012 halliedominick No comments

“Immigrant” by Simak stuffed my noggin full of both questions and answers… Of these questions and answers, there were two nuggets in particular that left me asking question upon question upon question.

This first of these two nuggets came from the title of the reading itself. I didn’t quite understand what such a title could be referring to. However, this class has given me the ability to think thoughts that lead to additional thoughts that lead to additional thoughts. After reading “Deschooling Society” by Illich and “The Lessons of Lucasfilm’s Habitat” by Morningstar and Farmer I have developed a new perspective on society as a whole. This perspective takes into account a lot of factors I had never considered before. For example, the first thought that came to mind of my series of thoughts was that the immigrant was a person within the experiential level not able to access the infrastructure level. I think of an immigrant as a foreigner who is able to experience (experiential level) the United States but not able to live (infrastructure level) within the United States. Thinking even deeper, this immigrant is able to live (gain access to the infrastructure level) within the United States with time. What I then asked myself was with time could one gain access to the infrastructure level? I believe this is a question we may never know.

The second of these two nuggets came from the general idea of “Immigrant.” Once again I felt that “Deschooling Society” by Illich and “The Lessons of Lucasfilm’s Habitat” by Morningstar and Farmer resonated within this article. What sat most with me was the idea of the IQ tests. I believe that these IQ tests were a direct comparison to our modern schooling system. In “Immigrant” only a few select humans were permitted to emigrate to the alien world.  I viewed these IQ tests as SATs or ACTs where only a few select humans are permitted to enter college.  Everyone who has the ability to attend college will tend to share their experiences with those who did not have the ability to attend college. However, due to the fact that our society is full of glamorous actresses and actors it is too easy to think that the quality of life once one enters college may not necessarily be what one imagines beforehand entering college. What I then asked myself was why did Simak choose to put these IQ tests within his story? I believe that he shared a lot of the same views as Illich, Morningstar, and Farmer. The three best friends that anyone could have.