so young and full of running.
RSS icon Email icon
  • Why Do iPhone Users Buy the iPad?

Posted on February 23rd, 2012 halliedominick No comments

With the introduction of the iPad in April of 2010 came a lot of skepticism. What was this device? What are we suppose to use this device for? It seemed a bit unnecessary to be honest. However, if this was the case how did it become popular? Also, it didn’t just become popular, it became popular fast. And by fast i mean, FAST.

The consumers obviously performed some research about the product before dropping $500 on it. What exactly were the perceived benefits of the product? Did the perceived benefits outweigh the hefty price? Well, the iPad is define as “a line of tablet computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc., primarily as a platform for audio-visual media including books, periodicals, movies, music, games, apps, and web content.” At this time it seemed to be the only product in its product class. Other tablets had not been introduced to compete with the iPad.

A research project performed by CNET News outlined 7 reasons consumers gave for purchasing the iPad. These reasons included:

1. Apps.
    2. For the computer-averse.
    3. Didn’t have a laptop.
    4. Coffee table tablet.
    5. Novelty.
    6. Not a computer, as we know it.
    7. Impulse buy.

Though the iPhone and iPad contain the same apps, the apps are executed in an entirely different fasion. The iPhone is simply too small to enjoy certain apps to their fullest potential. For those who are not computer savy, the iPad offers an easier way to surf the web and to e-read. For those who do not already own a laptop, the iPad offers a less expensive alternative that provides essentially the same characteristics as a laptop. The Wifi and 3G options allow users to surf the web whenever wanted. The iPad also became an alternative to the Nook and Kindle to read instead of a paperback book. The iPad became a Nook or Kindle on “crack” with much more to offer than it’s previous competitors. This opened up a whole new market and forced the Nook and Kindle to expand it’s product line. Lastly, the iPad was purchased due to the fact it was a gadget many had not experienced before. Users were curious about the product and were willing to blow the money if it was not considered a large purchase. The rage initiated by these early innovators and early adopters led the way for the late adopters, late majority, and laggards to later purchase the product. 

1 responses to “Why Do iPhone Users Buy the iPad?” RSS icon

• This post left me having many…not negative, but not very innovative feelings about the iPad, especially after reading about Alan Kay. Basically, from the consumer point of view, they took a computer and scaled it down to what looks almost identical to what Kay did. Somehow, it just doesn’t seem very original to me. And the answers found in that research as to why people bought them seemed kind of like they were just another Apple product that any Apple user had to have. The only function that I can see that I really like (being a Kindle and PC kind of girl) is IF I didn’t already have a computer, it would definitely be a cheaper option than buying one. And it is more portable than my Toshiba. So, I guess there’s two reasons. But, those are both accessibility reasons, not very innovative when it comes to new ways to look at things or new designs. Yes, they’re cool to look at-which I think is the point of many Apple products simply because it’s easier to market. But, I guess with all the hype about them, I was expecting some really unique interesting function or option that a computer didn’t already give you. So, maybe if my computer dies I will end up getting an iPad to replace it. But, I don’t really understand why you’d need both, unless you just really had a bulky computer?