Two weeks ago or so I was fortunate enough to give a presentation on the Null Curriculum of Sex and Gender in the Sciences. During my part of the session we processed through what we were historically taught about sex (namely that there are two), gender (also that there are two and that it should correlate with biological sex), and all the things we weren’t taught. What haven’t we been taught?
Well, we usually weren’t taught that:
- there are at least 6 sexes
- the Eurocentric and Western of gender has been and always will be in flux
- Intersex folks call into question the consistency of our correlation of gender and sex
- Intersex “conditions” are extremely common.
- 1/1600 people do not have XX or XY chromosome configurations.
- 1/200-1/2000 people have an intersex condition to include physical “abnormalities”