PDF, Short & Sweet Version:
More information for each announcement can be found below and don’t forget about our other programs including:
Congratulations to the top presenters at this year’s Graduate Research Symposium & Expo!
A complete list and award title can be found here:
PhD Movie Screenings: April 12, April 27
GSA is excited to announce that we will be screening BOTH PhD Comic movies this April!
Love reading the PhD comics? Want to take a night off of research? Need to laugh at how ridiculously hilarious graduate school can be at times?? Then this event is for you!
The GSA invites you to its Spring Event, FREE SCREENINGS OF
Location: GLC Auditorium
Admission is free to everyone.
The first movie will begin at 7:00 pm with the second movie beginning approximately at 8:30 pm. A short intermission will be held between the two movies.
This event will also occur on April 27th, but don’t miss out on your opportunity to be the very first VT graduate students to see PhD Movie 2!
Please contact Chelsea Corkins at email@example.com with questions. Trailers for each of the films can be found here:
- PhD Movie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpZ5rS4KhOA)
- PhD Movie 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2y_a7hL5M)
Beer & Wine Social: APRIL 8th, 5-9 pm
Come out to the University Club from 5-9pm for somebeer, wine, sangria (no hard alcohol), and light food!
- $10 drinks+food (non-delegates)
- $5 food (non-delegates)
- $5 drinks+food (delegates!)
For more information see our website and RSVP to our Facebook event! https://www.facebook.com/events/238875233115004/
Travel Fund Program: Reviewers Needed
Attention Graduate Students! The travel fund program is looking for students to review applications. This is a non-competitive review process, but is imperative to ensuring fair distribution and compensation to fellow graduate students. If you meet the following criteria:
- Have a couple of free hours in the month of April, and/or
- Would like to learn more about the review process for TFP, and
- You have not applied for Spring cycle of the TFP,
then contact our program chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library Survey for Graduate Students
Do you use the on-campus library?
What about the Graduate Student lounge on the 4th floor? Didn’t even know it exists?
The Library Committee is asking that graduate students respond to the very short survey at https://survey.vt.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1459363094757
Let us know about how the graduate student lounge is or is not used and how it can be improved. The survey will close on April 25th. Thank you!
GRDP: Reviewers Needed
Attention Graduate Students! The graduate research development program is looking for students to review applications. This is a competitive review process, and students are judged by fellow graduate students. Each year, applications are reviewed by 1 student within the applicant’s field and 1 student outside of the applicant’s field of research. If you meet the following criteria:
- Have a few hours in the month of April, and/or
- Would like to learn more about the review process for GRDP (looks great on a CV!) and
- You have not applied for Spring cycle of the GRDP,
then contact our program chair at email@example.com.
2016-2016 GSA Officer Elections
- Nominations for President of GSA:
- Chelsea Corkins
- Nominations for Vice President:
- Brett Netto
- Nominations for Director of Programs
- Alex Hyler
- Marie Stettler-Kline
- Nomination for Director of Finance/Treasurer
- Omchard Mahdu
- Martina Svyantek
- Nomination for Director of Communications
- Samantha Freed
- Nominations for Director of Events
- Kisha Gresham
If you would like to nominate yourself or another graduate student (NOTE* they do not need to be delegates of the GSA, can be any graduate student), please see the following timeline of events:
- April 21: Statement of intent due (250-500 words)
- April 25: Announcement sent out to delegates
- April 28: Elections
Please note* Nominations for positions will be allowed at the April 28th meeting, pending approval by the general assembly to allow new nominations to be included on the ballot.
More information can be found here: http://blogs.lt.vt.edu/graduatestudentassembly/elections-for-2016-2017/
Graduate Student Climate Survey
As a graduate student at Virginia Tech, your feedback is especially important to this project. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dannette Gomez-Beane.
Blacksburg to Northern Virginia Shuttle Service:
The Office of Parking and Transportation at Virginia Tech is asking all students and employees to take a brief, five-question survey tohelp the university gauge interest in a shuttle from the Blacksburg campus to Northern Virginia / National Capital Region.
Take the survey here:https://virginiatech.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b42QgNsos4Hkt1z
Graduate Assistant Position Available: Newman Library 2016-2017
APPLICATION DUE APRIL 15
Newman Library is looking for multiple Reference Library Assistants and one Graduate Assistant for the 2016-2017 academic year. The GA position includes a tuition waiver. The RLA positions are hourly ($15/hour) and do NOT include a waiver. Please feel free to distribute this info to all your constituencies!
Here are all the relevant links:
- GA/RLA announcement: http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/GA-RLA-announcement.pdf
- GA job description: http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/ga-job-desc.pdf
- RLA job description: http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/RLA-desc.pdf
- Application form (same for GA and RLA positions): http://www.lib.vt.edu/jobs/GA-RLA-application.pdf
Please note: the deadline is April 15 at 5pm!