Important GSA Updates

A Note from President Chelsea Corkins

Dear GSA Delegates and associated members,

I hope this email finds you safe, warm, and relaxed after winter break, as well as motivated for the beginning of what is certain to be a fantastic spring semester!

It is with great sadness that I write this email to inform you all of my resignation as a graduate student starting Spring 2017. This decision was the most difficult I’ve had to make thus far in my life, but one that I am increasingly proud of each day. Quitting graduate school is not a failure – it is a choice to change and hopefully better one’s life. While many outside of our graduate student community might not see it this way, I encourage all of you to support those who have decided not to continue their graduate school studies as this decision does not reflect negatively on one’s abilities, but rather should shine brightly on that person’s desire to improve themselves personally and professionally.

With my resignation as a graduate student, I am therefore no longer eligible to serve as the GSA President. I can ensure you that removing myself from GSA was one of the (if not the most) difficult components of my resignation as a graduate student. You all have become family to me and if allowed, I could write a never-ending memoir of the joys I have encountered while being involved in GSA for the past two and a half years. For that I am forever grateful.

However, fear not! As I can without a doubt ensure you that GSA will continue to thrive as an organization at Virginia Tech under the leadership of the current Executive Board, Program Chairs, Support System, and you – the delegation. Governance, programming, events, and advocacy will still be completed without a hitch and graduate life will continue to improve. Of this I am most certain.

For those like me who need a plan moving forward – no worries, GSA has been working hard over break to ensure this transition is smooth! My official resignation will go into place on January 17th – the first day of classes for this spring semester. Per our organization’s constitution, Brett Netto – GSA Vice President – has been offered and accepted dual roles as both VP and President. Brett will serve in both of these roles until the first general assembly meeting of the semester (January 26th).

During the January 26th meeting, it will be up to you – the delegates – to determine the next steps. As we speak, the judicial chair is formulating options per the GSA constitution, so please be on the lookout for an email with the next steps before the January 26th meeting.

So now I write my final send-off paragraphs as your GSA President. No words can ever eloquently or fully summarize all I wish to say to you all – the thanks, the congrats, the words of hope and comfort. You are all meant for great things.

All the best,

Chelsea Corkins

P.S. – because you all know I can’t stop talking… I will still check my personal VT email more than I should and will be here at VT until at least December 2017 in a temporary faculty position. So if you have any interest in discussing graduate school, my decision for resignation, or anything else, don’t hesitate to ask!