PDF Version, Short & Sweet
More information for each announcement can be found below and don’t forget about our other programs including:
Poster Tube & Laser Pointer Rental (Open on a rolling basis)
Cap & Gown Winners: 1st Round
The Graduate Student Assembly Graduation Gown Rental program will loan a limited number of graduation gowns and caps to graduate students participating in Spring 2016 Blacksburg graduation ceremonies. Interested students will have the opportunity to fill out a survey and be entered in a lottery.
Students selected for the program must pick up the cap and gown during specified pick up time during the week of graduation and return the cap and gown by Friday, May 20, 2016. Recipients will be notified of specific pick up and drop off dates, times, and locations via email. Failure to pick up cap & gown by deadline: YOU WILL FORFEIT YOUR CAP & GOWN
GSA will hold a 2nd round lotto with remaining caps & gowns.
- Notification to rental recipients: Wednesday, April 13, 2016
- Rental gown and cap pick up window: Friday, April 15 – Wednesday April 27, 2016
- Deadline to return rentals: Friday, May 20, 2016
Note: We are unable to provide gowns or caps for students receiving the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree.
Questions? Please contact GSA Events and Special Programs Chair Kisha Gresham (email@example.com).
April 28th: President, the Provost, Elections
– Oh my!
GSA delegates – Don’t forget that our last meeting will include Q&A sessions with President Sands and Provost Rikakis. Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Interested in our election procedures? Scroll down
2016-2016 GSA Officer Elections
- April 21: Statement of intent due (250-500 words)
- April 25: Announcement sent out to delegates
- April 28: Elections
Please note* Nominations for positions will be allowed at the April 28th meeting, pending approval by the general assembly to allow new nominations to be included on the ballot.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON ELECTION DAY
- Beginning in order of succession (i.e., beginning with President), Officer Candidates for a single position will give a 2 minute speech to complement their written statements
- Officer Candidates for that position will be asked 2 questions by the Delegates or Electoral Affairs chairs
- Once all Candidates for the position have been presented, Delegates will fill out and turn in paper ballots
- Electoral Affairs chairs will count ballots under supervision of staff (Candidates may ask to have a third party supervise ballot counting as well)
- In case of a lack of 2/3 majority, a run-off between the top two Candidates will be held
- The winner of the position will be announced before moving onto the next position in succession
- Note: some Officer Candidates will Skype in, call in, or pre-record a video with prior approval of the Electoral Affairs chairs
More information can be found here: http://blogs.lt.vt.edu/graduatestudentassembly/elections-for-2016-2017/
PhD Movie Screenings: April 27
GSA is excited to announce that we will be screening BOTH PhD Comic movies this April!
Love reading the PhD comics? Want to take a night off of research? Need to laugh at how ridiculously hilarious graduate school can be at times?? Then this event is for you!
The GSA invites you to its Spring Event, LAST SCREENING OF
Location: GLC Auditorium
Admission is free to everyone.
The first movie will begin at 7:00 pm with the second movie beginning approximately at 8:30 pm. A short intermission will be held between the two movies.
Please contact Chelsea Corkins at email@example.com with questions. Trailers for each of the films can be found here:
- PhD Movie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpZ5rS4KhOA)
- PhD Movie 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2y_a7hL5M)
TONIGHT! Torgersen Graduate Research Awards
Each year, the College of Engineering showcases the top research performed by graduating Masters and Doctoral students.
- TODAY, April 19th, 2-4 pm
- GLC Multipurpose Room
- TONIGHT , 5:00 pm
- The awards begin at 5:30pm.
All delegates and their constituents are invited, particularly those from the college of engineering because the research highlighted is from that college! For more information visit: http://www.gsc.eng.vt.edu/PET.html
Questions? Email Liselle Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Graduates: Selfies Wanted
“If you would like to participate in the Office of Sustainability’s program “Green Graduates of Virginia Tech” send a quick blurb of how you pledge to support a sustainable world and a photo of yourself (think “Humans of New York” project or just your standard selfie) to our facebook page “Green Graduates of Virginia Tech” OR to email@example.com (and we will post the photo for you) along with your name, major(s), and college(s) and we will provide you with a FREE green sustainability cord for graduation!
More information can be found: https://www.facebook.com/Green-Graduates-of-Virginia-Tech-465341976985523/?fref=ts
Library Survey for Graduate Students
Do you use the on-campus library?
What about the Graduate Student lounge on the 4th floor? Didn’t even know it exists?
The Library Committee is asking that graduate students respond to the very short survey at https://survey.vt.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1459363094757
Let us know about how the graduate student lounge is or is not used and how it can be improved. The survey will close on April 25th. Thank you!
GMO Panel: 4/26
The College of Ag & Life Sciences invites you to join an upcoming event being held on April 26th at 6pm in the Litton Reaves Auditorium. The event is entitled, “GMOs and You” and it is being hosted by the College of Ag and Life Sciences’ Graduate Student Council and the VT Food Club. Snacks and Beverages will be provided. More info in the flyer below.
Blacksburg to Northern Virginia Shuttle Service:
The Office of Parking and Transportation at Virginia Tech is asking all students and employees to take a brief, five-question survey tohelp the university gauge interest in a shuttle from the Blacksburg campus to Northern Virginia / National Capital Region.
Take the survey here:https://virginiatech.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b42QgNsos4Hkt1z
Graduate Student Study Spaces
Need a place to study? Check out the following resources:
Graduate Study Room (Newman, 4th Floor)
Secret Study Spots at Virginia Tech (updated Spring 2015)
Look for more as we get closer to exams!