Day 15: Wrong Turns, Castles, the Blues, and Gawd-Awfully Awesome Bathrooms

The day started bright and early. We repacked, grabbed a quick breakfast, and made it on the bus with everyone else for the ride to the airport and our car. It was bittersweet to see everyone go off in one direction and Ben and I going off on another – it really hit home that the VT Scan portion of the trip was over.

We made it to our car. A Renault Clio that we’ve named Chloe for the next three days. She’s a diesel and every now and then we’ll look at each other due to some smell that she’s exuding but so far she’s been great.

Leaving the airport Ben had one very firm request: whatever I did, do NOT direct him through downtown Copenhagen. I agreed that was a bad idea and promised that I wouldn’t – only to direct him through downtown Copenhagen. It was truly a mistake and the first introduction to the fact that Danish road signs are not always the best. The highlight to this was that we were driving past den lille havfrue or the Little Mermaid as she’s more known. She was what I expected – a huge tourist attraction of a small statue. But I can now say that I’ve seen one of THE big things to see in the city.

Little Mermaid

Little Mermaid

We made our way north and checked out Kronborg Castle. We both thought it was impressive and loved the various models outside that showed the various stages of construction. Plus, Ben got to see Sweden. Sadly, the way things are looking, we won’t actually get over there for him to say “I’ve been there!”. From here we made our way to Frederiksborg Castle. The guidebooks are correct when they say that it’s the Versailles of Denmark. Now it is a wonderful art museum. Much grander than Kronborg, there was just something about it that I didn’t like as much as the other. This one made me feel that it was a place that some rich people centuries ago built because they wanted to show off their wealth – really ostentatious. However Kronborg had real military defense requirements that, to me, made the expense justified. Either way, I liked either. Though, to keep with the purpose of the blog, I think that the supply chain to replenish Kronborg would also be easier. Less variables (easily by sea, so cheaper costs) but there would be potential disruptions to deliveries, due to the constant wars with Sweden during the times of major use. Sadly, they did not go into the lean systems used by the Queen to organize and run her households efficiently. I may have to doc them some points on my rapid plant assessment sheet when I fill it out. Smilie: :-)

We left Zeeland and were planning to head to the island of Funen, specifically the town of Middlefart because really, who doesn’t want to stay at a place called Middlefart (yes, we were acting like middleschoolers). However, upon arrival, the town was dead so we next set our sights on Frederica. The town was also dead BUT it was for a good reason – they were having the first night of a blues festival with a variety of BBQ options. We each grabbed a plate (ribs for Ben and pulled pork for me) and ended up chatting with a family from Russia, who recently immigrated to Denmark via Cyprus. They had a cute little girl who drew pictures for Ben and I. She was obsessed with hearts and flowers – every animal or building drawn had them as decorations. After this we decided to forge onward to Aarhus (second largest city in Denmark) where we learned that, if everyone is flashing their lights at you, you should pull over (we, OK I, hadn’t fully turned on the car’s front or rear lights). We utilized the free Wi-Fi at the library in Frederica to book a room at the Royal Hotel in Aarhus. It was a huge steal, it’s in the middle of town, and it has the most gawd awful black and gold color scheme in the bathroom. Now it’s off to sleep since we’re going to either explore the area or head further north to the North Sea shores.

Who says black and gold bathrooms are not in style?

Category(s): Uncategorized